Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superbrace Fork Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:37 AM
m3apx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superbrace Fork Stabilizer

Does anybody have experience with a fork stabilizer? It's apparently available in the Group Buy.

I have an '08 Nightster. I'm a new rider - have put 3500 miles on the bike since July. I race SCCA Formula Vee, so I'm kind of used to running hard through the twisties. But, being a new rider, I'm still learning bike control - and will probably be doing so forever.

I find that the bike seems to "float" sometimes through hard turns. It almost feels like the suspension isn't settling the bike. Honestly, I think it's me and a lack of good throttle control. I may not be as steady on the throttle as I should be. I stopped into a local independent shop for some friendly advice. The owner has a Sportster, and he suggested a fork stabilizer. I'm just checking to see if anyone has tried installing one of these and how it affects handling.

Honestly - I think that it may be the rider who's more at fault here. In other words, I should work on my bike control before I start screwing around with the suspension. If anyone can offer their experience with a stabilizer, that would be great. Thanks, Ron.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran a fork brace on my sportster. Loved it, tightened up the front alot. You can feel a big difference in the turns, the harder you hit them, the more difference you feel. I say go for it.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:00 AM
cadillac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put one on my 2000 Dyna and it was very noticeable in the turns. We ride 2 up a lot on the Dyna and it has helped there immensely.

bob

Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont have a fork brace and im no mechanic. with that said...

the rear shocks are trash. get some road king shocks.

the dampening tubes in the front end will probably need some work. if you have a service manual, turn to the page with the exploded-fork view. you'll see the 883l and 1200n have different internals. i'm certain the lowering system is at fault on these forks. mine has felt worn-out since 8k miles.

if you plan to keep racing you'll probably want longer forks. you can lower the front by sliding the tubes through the trees. at minimum, the damper tubes need work. im thinking about filling the holes and drilling smaller ones. but, i may just swap all the internals to get more travel. also, if you raise you rear with longer shocks, you'll get a better performing corner-carver. the nightsters rake-trail is too high.

i dont think your experience is the problem.