Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobbed fender tail-light dilemma. *pics inside*

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
blackness
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bobbed fender tail-light dilemma. *pics inside*

I cut the fender on my wifes '99 and flung that ugly a$$ plate mount and taillight as far as I could. Then put on my best bare metal and flat black rattle can paintjob with a little orange pinstripe for good measure. She loves it!

Anyway you can see in the pic below what I have done for her new plate mount and lighting. The problem I'm having is, I used two dual filament bullet lights with plans to use them for run, brake, and turn and so far I have been unsuccessful at making them work.

I wired in a $16 tail light converter from Uhaul. The run function works perfectly. The problem is, if I have the brakes on with the turn signal, The front and rear turn signals stop blinking, BUT the front turn signal goes solid and the rear signal goes out. (the tail/running lights are unaffected)

I've done several searches and have't been able to come up with a solution. Anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?

Attached Thumbnails Bobbed fender tail-light dilemma. *pics inside*-wheels-through-time-08-054a.jpg  
Old 10-14-2008, 03:16 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You need one of these but for pre 2004 if such a thing exists.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

here is an earlier one
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp

Last edited by HOTLAP; 10-14-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:19 PM
dlg1125
Cruiser

read this article, even if you have the run/turn module from HD you still need to create a circuit that performs like the circuit board that is in the taillight, it is a pretty simple thing to do.
Towards the bottom of the article is the instructions on how to do it, the top section is about mounting a side mount plate. All that is required is a six pin and 3 two pin connectors.

http://sportster.org/blog/how-to-ins...our-sportster/

Old 10-14-2008, 03:24 PM
blackness
Cruiser

I had the run/brake/turn module on an '04 I had and I wasn't satisfied with it. Those kits work with your stock single filament lamp, but I have added dual filament lamps.

Those modules direct power to the light at all times, they just reduce the voltage to the light for the run function, then restore full voltage to it for the turn/brake function. The run function was too bright making the difference between the run and turn/brake hard to make out unless you were actually looking at the light when it made the change. I figured the dual filament would be better.

I remember reading about this before and I'm sure there is someone somewhere that has made this happen.

In the style of Ferris Beuller Anyone.......... Anyone............. Anyone... lol

Old 10-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Rebel Jon
Intermediate

I want to make sure that I know what part you installed from UHaul. Is it P?N 13486?

You stated that the box reduces the voltage to the light for the run function, but that shouldn't be the case. The run function should light the low amplitued filament, while the brake/turn function lights the high amplitude filament. I would first make sure that you have the low amplitude attached to the running light feed and high amplitude attached to the turn/stop feed.

Just out on a limb here, but when I worked at UHaul that happened a lot when you don't have a good ground on the white wire out of the UHaul adapter box.

Something to check, hope it helps.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Peedib89
Tourer

can help you with the light issue. but i like the paint scheme with the black and bare sheet metal

Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 AM
blackness
Cruiser

I'm sorry, I need to clarify my earlier post. When I referred to the module that reduces voltage above, I was talking about the run/brake/turn controllers, not the uhaul box.

The Uhaul box I have is simply a tail light converter used on vehicles with amber turn signals seperate from the brake lights. It allows you to hook a trailer up with the turn signal and brake function using the same bulb. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. Its just that for some reason the signal controller on the bike is freaking out.

I remember reading somewhere about using a resistor or maybe a diode from radio shack to make this work. I'm hoping someone with a better memory than me can remember where this information is, or someone smarter than me just knows and can tell me. lol

Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 AM
blackness
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Peedib89
can help you with the light issue. but i like the paint scheme with the black and bare sheet metal
Thanks for the compliment, I'll pass it on to the wife!

That pic sux, I wish I had a better camera so the detail would be more visible.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
blackness
Cruiser

bump ttt

Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 PM
63GHIA
Advanced

Chek out the Nightster tail/run/stop module/ This should do what you are wanting. Check out the 2008 Sportster parts catalog.
Look good....

Quick Reply: Bobbed fender tail-light dilemma. *pics inside*