Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nigster help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
gpon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nigster help

I posted a long post not too long ago but apparently it was in the wrong section. I'm looking into getting a Nightster. What kind of gas mileage are you getting on your Nightsters/Sportster 1200s? How's the reliability? Maneuverability? Handling? How easy is it to do the typical preventative maintenance (oil, spark plugs, brakes, etc)? Overall rating of the Nightster?

I searched but most posts didn't really cover the info I'm looking for. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

The Nightster is a fine bike,it can be made to do what ever you want it to do,in your case it will need better -longer shocks-better springs in the front tubes,they are easy to work on as far as oil changes,plugs etc.Mine is stock and will kick butt on the other models of Harleys except the v rod I guess,never been against one,it will also kick butt on several of the metric crusier type bikes,this is with a stock bike,I have left the motor and suspension alone because I don't use it for fast road work or speed but was surprised what the bike can do and so are my friends,they have new respect for the Sportsters.Mine is an 07 that I bought used,the only issue so far has been a leaking rear rocker box,covered by warranty.I have been very happy with mine.Bought it with 300 miles on it about two months ago,it has a little over 4,000 on it now.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
gpon
6th Gear

Thanks! How's the gas mileage on the stock motor? I'm not planning on making any modifications at all, I have great respect for factory bikes. I want a bike that will last a long time, as in at least 100,000 miles, with proper maintenance. Something that I can ride for 5-10 years, not something that's super radical or unique in any way. I don't want it to be loud, I'd be keeping the stock pipes on if I choose to get one (is that a bad thing?). I'm a simple guy, just looking for a simple, clean, nice looking cruiser.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:47 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

I get about 40 to 45 miles per gallon,the lessor when I am around town-heavy throttle hand.The Nightster sits pretty low I have scraped many times left and right,any agressive riding you will have to modify the suspension-no big deal deal.Do test ride one though to be sure it is what you are after.Could be a V rod would suit your needs better,there are some good deals on used units,they are very reliable also,there again test ride before you buy.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:00 PM
gpon
6th Gear

I want to stay away from the V Rod because they're just as quick as my bike in a straight line and would most likely get me into the same amount of trouble haha. Do HD dealerships look down upon sport bike riders? I want to ride my bike to the local HD dealer and do a test ride but I don't know how they'll react to a supersport rider. Maybe I should just drive my car there? I have my motorcycle endorsement, have been through the MSF class, and I'm insured, but I'm kinda young compared to the typical HD rider crowd, which also may induce them to turn a cold shoulder to me. Haha I would have never thought I'd be intimidated to go bike shopping.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:44 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

I would not be afraid to go to the dealer on your sport bike,our local Harley dealer sponsers a sport bike night,also feeds everyone on Saturdays reguardles of what you ride or even if you don't ride.I think most folks realize the future of our country along with everything else is in the hands of the young folks comming up through the ranks.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:46 PM
venable
Cruiser

I love mine, although I have made many mods myself. The bike is great and very easy to work on.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Slaps
Road Master

Originally Posted by gpon
I want to stay away from the V Rod because they're just as quick as my bike in a straight line and would most likely get me into the same amount of trouble haha. Do HD dealerships look down upon sport bike riders? I want to ride my bike to the local HD dealer and do a test ride but I don't know how they'll react to a supersport rider. Maybe I should just drive my car there? I have my motorcycle endorsement, have been through the MSF class, and I'm insured, but I'm kinda young compared to the typical HD rider crowd, which also may induce them to turn a cold shoulder to me. Haha I would have never thought I'd be intimidated to go bike shopping.
I'm still young and only the HD shops gave me any attention all the international shops treated me like a window shopper. I enjoy my nightster a lot. I normally get 40+ mpg with it so far and it's not really broken in.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpon
Do HD dealerships look down upon sport bike riders? I want to ride my bike to the local HD dealer and do a test ride but I don't know how they'll react to a supersport rider. Maybe I should just drive my car there?
They are very friendly to anyone who wants to buy a bike. Go figure.
The guy who sells you a bike may not remember you 2 days after you take delivery, but he will be very friendly during the process.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:00 PM
MattYeoman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We're in the same boat gpon. I just want a simple bike, keeping it mostly stock, and regularly sevicing it so that it lasts forever. I think its a good plan. Does anyone else out there have something to contribute? I'd really like to hear more opinions.

Quick Reply: Nigster help