Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Qeustion about my new BIG SUCKER AIR FILTER???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Golfgurl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Qeustion about my new BIG SUCKER AIR FILTER???

I never thought about this before but..

what happens if it rains?? That filter is so open and EXPOSED all around it........?

Love the filter and the new pipes and the sounds and especially the performance but NEVER thought about the rain??

Any suggetions? Does it really matter if water gets on OR in it?

Attached Thumbnails Qeustion about my new BIG SUCKER AIR FILTER???-9-03-08-224.jpg  
Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 AM
tjones
Advanced

The oil on the filter will make it water resistant, but not water proof, if you are out riding and its raining hard, i would suggest parking under a bridge or something. You may also want to research, outerwears air filter covers. Outerwears makes covers for air filters, that are supposed to keep water out. Another thing you could do is put a 8" round cover over the filter, this would still give it room to breathe.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 AM
super-k
Intermediate

I've heard different sides of this.....but I wouldn't

If water gets in, it's non-compressible & could give you problems

Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Without a "sock" or something else to protect the filter, you'll drown out the motor, not a good thing. Not sure if anyone even makes a "sock" for that filter, main reason why I went with the HD heavy breather. Maybe someone will chime in on this, whether there is a cover that works or not.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Aaron01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Big Sucker on my Softail and I ran it open like yours for quite a while and never had a problem in the rain, but we don't get rain as often here in CO as you do in GA. I did go back to putting the factory "football" cover back on for now and it does help keep the bugs out of the filter which was the biggest drawback that I noticed with running it open.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:31 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few companies that make the rain socks that fit the ness filter. I've run mine naked for a couple years and though I've been in light rain with no real issues anytime it sat exposed to falling rain while parked (or especially washing the bike) it would not only wash dirty oil all down the side of the bike off the filter but it choked the motor out until it dried. I did get caught in a quick downpour this spring and before I could pull over under an overpass the water was already choking the filter.
It looks cool but running open it gets dirty a lot faster requiring cleaning and re-oiling more often. I think I'm just going to co back to a round cover in the future like the HD nostalgic or a ness cover.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 10-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Lickety Split
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first put my Big sucker on I left it exposed, Thought it looks cooler, But my more experienced freinds told me not good in the rain. I put a stock football cover of a 03 roadglide and no problems. I ride in the rain all the time so far I haven't had any problems.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:24 PM
skydoc
Banned

Opted for the Big Sucker cast alumimium/chrome round cover below. The front of an exposed Big sucker filter loads up with bugs and grime real quick. Always carry a rain sock.

Last edited by skydoc; 10-06-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Charles:
Tourer

I have a heavy breather (ie exposed filter) and rode in a downpour for about 20 minutes... didn't have any issues.

Quick Reply: Qeustion about my new BIG SUCKER AIR FILTER???