Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start and can't get into diag mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Won't Start and can't get into diag mode

Rode into work the other day, been commuting steadily for the past few weeks.

End of the work day I get ready to leave and when I turn my key past acc. to ignition the speedo goes blank and lights cut off. Can't even get into the diag mode since the ignition position seems to be dead.

First thought batter/battery cables. All good. Although when using a voltmeter on the battery it shows 13.75, when touching the positive terminal and part of the bike it shows 6.74.

I double checked my voltage regulator connections and everything looks good.

Anybody ever run into this? me and electricity do not work well together so my service manual is reminding me of high school spanish right now, useless!!!

Side note, I did throw some jumper cables on a car and was able to get into the diag mode and got "none". Tried to jump the bike off with the car which i know isn't the greatest thing to do and no luck, first try it wouldn't turn over all the way, second and third times rapid "click, click, click, click, click".

so now she sits motionless..........

Any idea's??

Old 09-28-2008, 05:26 PM
JacksPilot
Cruiser
Talking

Sounds like a bad ground on the bike side of the ground wire. Clean it real good. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:14 PM
alank
Intermediate

From what you said, get a new battery. Battery's don't always die a slow death, sometimes it's start this time and won't do anything 15 minutes later, which is what yours sounds like. My last bad battery went like that, on a lawn mower. I had been mowing all morning, starting and stopping to do things, an all of a sudden when I went to start it once, there was nothing left.
The battery has internal connections that connect the cells together, those internal connections can start to deteriorate so the electrical connection becomes very small. One time the connection's just good enough to start the engine and the next time the starter load is enough to burn the remaining connection out, and then it's a dead battery. Often a volt meter will read in the 12 volt range, but if you put a load on the battery such as lights or starter, the voltage will drop to 0 volts under load.
Another thing to try is a battery charger. If an internal connection has created an "open circut" the battery charger can't charge it. The amp meter on the charger won't go up to it's normal charging area.

Last edited by alank; 09-28-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a bad ground, to me, also. Don't just check the tightness of connections. They can look perfectly fine on the surface, but when you remove them to clean them, will find they can be corroded. Clean them good, and put dielctric grease on all of them. Then retry your test and starter.
If no luck, re-post, and we'll try step 2 and so on. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:59 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds more like a short in the ignition circuit to me, but....try the battery thing first I guess. You poppin any fuses?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

Thanks for all the idea's.....

Just got back from swappin the battery, got to love parking lot mechanics!!!

Same result, turn the key to acc. and the speedo lights up, keep going to ignition and nada.

Checked the fuses, at least the 6 15'ers and the maxi. All are good.

So I take the battery that I just removed and sit it on the ground next to the bike and hook up jumper cables to it. then the other end to the positive terminal on the installed battery and the negative to a bolt on the crank case. Turn the key to ignition and I've got lights.

Then as I go to start it, i get the clickity clickit noise.

I remove the jumper cables and darkness once again falls over the parking lot.........

Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

Check your starter relay.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

What am i looking for on the relay? or should I just pick up a new one and swap it out?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:06 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd try to swap it....are you saying you get power before you turn to Ign but when you turn the key to Ign you get NOTHING?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

Originally Posted by 6o66er
I'd try to swap it....are you saying you get power before you turn to Ign but when you turn the key to Ign you get NOTHING?
Thats exactly what happens...

If I turn the key to Ign and throw some cables on it to another battery source I get power just won't turn over.

I'll pick one up tomorrow, Am I going to have to get one from my stealership or can I pick these up somewhere else?

Quick Reply: Won't Start and can't get into diag mode