Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start and can't get into diag mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:42 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get em from the stealer. Also....check to make sure your ignition module is hooked up right (under the bike - Deutsch connector) and make sure there are no exposed wires anywhere. This doesn't really sound like a battery issue at all.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced the starter relay, unplugged the ignition module and inspected, every thing looks good.

Still no luck.....

Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Sounds like a bad ground, to me, also. Don't just check the tightness of connections. They can look perfectly fine on the surface, but when you remove them to clean them, will find they can be corroded. Clean them good, and put dielctric grease on all of them. Then retry your test and starter.
If no luck, re-post, and we'll try step 2 and so on. Good luck.

I agree. Have you tried cleaning all of those wires that are usually stacked up on the ground at the engine?

I'll see if I can rattle ole cHarley's chain on this, he's pretty good with electrical issues.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:42 PM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are only getting 6 volts between positive and bike you have a bad ground. Lift the ground cable from battery put meter on ohms check from end of ground cable to bare metal on bike. should be almost zero ohms. if higher clean the ground cable on both ends.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

Originally Posted by wolfman 66
If you are only getting 6 volts between positive and bike you have a bad ground. Lift the ground cable from battery put meter on ohms check from end of ground cable to bare metal on bike. should be almost zero ohms. if higher clean the ground cable on both ends.
Wolfman & Sporty Pig, i'll be doing that after work, When I swapped the battery I didn't think to check the ground wire.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

ok, i'm currently in my office parking lot running off the wireless and my laptop.

I yanked the battery again to check the negative cable. Sort of caked with crap, not bad enough for me to notice the first time around. So i set the battery next to the bike and and hooked jumper cables to it after scrubing all the terminals.

Whaaalaaa!!! We have ignition and she's running. now its time for the grease and hooking it all back up.....

Wish me luck!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

JacksPilot, alank, Da Gumpmeister, 6o66er, SportyPig & wolfman 66. Thanks so much for the help, this is exactly what its all about. Riders helping riders!!

45 minutes to put a battery in, that's a new record for me. Negative cable was the culprit and now......she's ALIVE!!!!!!!

Thanks again everybody for the help.....

Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Cool,

I see we're practically neighbors. Hafta get our 2 Red 883 Low's together sometime and ride.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Somber Goat
Tourer

Sounds like a plan..... You need to join our group Tennessee Riders. We are throwing around ideas of local Tenn riders and visitors to the area getting together.

Maybe we can meet up, kick some tires and hit the trace one weekend!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:00 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't know about joining another group. I stay pretty busy with the Patriot Guard Riders.

As far as the trace....I rode all 444 miles of that 2 years ago. Very dull riding. But with all the great roads we have around here, we can find something entertaining.

Quick Reply: Won't Start and can't get into diag mode