Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mid-controlers 4 sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by creekhed1
Thats my point exactly Herr... I do a lot of "serious" riding with Forwards. Seemed like you were implying that having Mids was the only way to ride..."aggressively". Didn't mean to offend...
I wasn't offended. You can't deny the functional advantages of a mid/highway peg setup over forwards. However, having them does not make you a better rider.

Conversely, if you really just have to have forwards, you can become fairly proficient with them and outride many an un-seasoned sportsbike rider in the twisties.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 PM
bmizar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried riding a stock Nightster with mid-controls this weekend and with my boots on I felt cramped having them in that position. When I raced motocross I had no problem with them but on a street bike I like forward controls better.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
I wasn't offended. You can't deny the functional advantages of a mid/highway peg setup over forwards. However, having them does not make you a better rider.

Conversely, if you really just have to have forwards, you can become fairly proficient with them and outride many an un-seasoned sportsbike rider in the twisties.
Highway pegs are incredibly unsafe, imo. No controls, no brakes, and a long way to get back to the normal pegs. I for one will never, ever use them. Too many things jump out in front of you when you least expect it. Not that i disagree about the mids - but highway pegs are ick.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
Highway pegs are incredibly unsafe, imo. No controls, no brakes, and a long way to get back to the normal pegs. I for one will never, ever use them. Too many things jump out in front of you when you least expect it. Not that i disagree about the mids - but highway pegs are ick.
I agree about the highway pegs, but I think in general, good judgment goes a long way.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
I agree about the highway pegs, but I think in general, good judgment goes a long way.
Moose beats good judgment every day

Old 09-29-2008, 03:08 PM
miketami
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talk about hijacking a thread, but if you cant beat them join them...

I rode a sporty with mid controls and highway pegs for years. did all my shifting a brakeing with my heals. Its all in what you are used to!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive seen highway pegs with a SECOND brake lever attached for "emergency use"

it was just a series of linkages, both the mid and the highway peg moved the same amount and activated the same master cylinder. i thought it was a great idea, it was a custom build, not a production product though.

i didnt like the thought of highway pegs alone rather than full forwards, but this set up was a nice compromise of safety, comfort, and ergonomics.