Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5000 Mile trip on Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
assclown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5000 Mile trip on Nightster

It's over! Traveled from Cold Lake Alberta to Base Bordon Ontario. took 4 days to get there and 4 to get back plus driving around while I was there, the ride was very nice I never thought Ontario had so much rock! I thought I was in British Columbia for a while, very nice drive around the great lakes, must have seen over a 1000 bikes as sturgis was on the weekend that I went down, only seen 4 or 5 bikes on the ride home,, cold ride home last week and had to buy a heated vest for the ride back,, great trip through Ontario, cant say the same for Saskatuwan on manitoba very borring flat ride! Hiway 17 was good lots of hills and curves lots of cops though, no tickets! lots of passing lanes.

No issues with the bike except, stopped in Saut St Marie to get some earplugs at the drug store and for some reason I decided to lock the stearing, when I came out I got on the bike and did not realize the steering was locked. as there is lots of play in the steering when locked and I drove away and ended up on my ***, and then the key broke off in the steering lock. I thought I was hooped as it was a hoilday Monday, but I strong armed the steering lock and broke it as it was now jammed, and I had a spare key for the ignission,, very luck and very dumb, don't know why there was so much play in the steering lock mec though.

Last edited by assclown; 09-18-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I don't know why all that solid steel engineering couldn't be used to make a steering lock you can't break by strong arming it! Kinda defeats the purpose of it, doesn't it?

Anyway, on to more important stuff...congrats, man! Damn, that's considerably more than what I plan to do in less than two weeks. Here's the route of my planned ride...3,000 miles. Solo.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...773437&t=h&z=5

Teek

Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
quin
Advanced

Congrats! Sounds like a way I would love to spend my vacation. How was the overall comfort of the ride? Stock seat, suspenion, and bars? Aftermarket fairing?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Dameon
Tourer

5000 miles, I need that kinda time. I could only make time for about 1300, heading to my buddies house in PA in a couple weeks, should still be fun.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Werbeck
Tourer

Congrats, you must have buns of steel! What type of seat do you have?

I never lock the steering column, seems to cause more trouble for owners than thieves.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Iron-Horse
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your steering lock scenario, but 5 K in 8 days sounds like relaxed scooting which is what a buddy & I did.

I just rolled back into town couple of days ago from approx 3500 miles on my ‘09 Nightster.

Los Angeles, California, to Point Roberts, Washington, in 5.5 days.

We took Pacific Coast HWY the entire stretch & I was pleasantly surprised on how well the bike preformed. As for the seat? Not too bad at all.

We hit good weather, no tickets & no problems, however, as U guys know I/we did have to stop for go-go juice every 90-100 miles or so which was great excuse to take a little break that allowed us to ride from sunup to sundown @ speeds between 60-90 mph without fatigue.

Will I do it again? Well, I’d much rather do long distance on my FJR, but the Nightster was tremendous fun in a different way.

Peace.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
assclown
Intermediate
Default seat

still have the factory seat on her, but my *** hurt for 2 days after I got there, but the ride home 5 weeks later did'nt bother my *** as much, but my thumbs and four fingers are numb still after 1 week lost feeling in them

Old 09-18-2008, 05:07 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Congrats on your ride assclown! Who says you can't tour on a sporty?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:05 PM
quin
Advanced

Last question, how did you pack for the trip? In other words do you have saddle bags? back pack?

Old 09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
assclown
Intermediate
Default packing

6 weeks of cloths was packed in canadian tire nylon saddle bags, they got beat up a bit but did the job , cost me 70 bucks held 6 weeks worth, had zippers on them to expand the size

Quick Reply: 5000 Mile trip on Nightster