Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foot slipping while trying to shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Foot slipping while trying to shift

Anyone else ever have the same problem as this:

Every now and then (and today a lot for some strange reason) when I go to shift and lift my toe up (since there's quite a bit of distance for me to move until it actually makes the shift) my foot wants to go up, hit the shifter, and slide backwards out from under the shifter peg and not make the shift. This may be confusing, and I don't understand why its happening but I think it might be due to a round shifter peg and my boot just rolling right out from under it when trying to apply pressure to shift.

You can see in the pic how the shifter peg is:

I think I may just need to look for a shifter peg similar to the brake peg as its flat and probably won't allow this to happen.

OR: Just thought of this. Is there some way I could shorten the distance the shifter peg has to move upwards to make the shift? On my dad's V-Star and brother's Roadstar, the distance you have to move your foot to shift up is so short, you can shift a lot quicker. For example on my bike the shifter has to move up quite a bit but on theirs its only like an inch or so.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:05 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Try re-adjusting the shifter down. both ends of the shifter linkage are adjustable.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Due to my short legs, I had to have them moved UP a tad. There's no space between my boot and the shifter, and my size 7.5 D boots don't have a problem reaching it. For those with normal to longer length legs cHarley is spot on...as usual. Move it down.

Teek

Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Remove the shifter arm and move one notch.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:22 PM
ripto
Road Master

So I could actually adjust it so that the shift lever is at less of an angle with the ground? I haven't taken a good look at it yet but it seems theres threading on both sides of the shifter rod, is that what I have to adjust?

Its weird because normally my foot is in contact with the shifter, but I have to move it quite a bit of distance for it to actually make the shift. I'll try this out.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:40 PM
cHarley
Club Member

To lower the shift peg:

First - loosen the jam nut that the arrow is pointed at in the above pic.
Then remove the bolt (above the arrow) that fastens the linkage to the shifter.
Turn the fitting on the end of the linkage in towards the loosened jam nut a couple of turns.
Reinstall the linkage to the shifter.
Tighten the jam nut.

Repeat if necessary until you get the height you want.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 PM
ripto
Road Master

Awesome, thanks. I'm going to try this out right now.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:21 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well how small is your boot? i wear a size 13 and the distance from the footpeg to the shifter peg is 4 inches, and i rest my boot on the peg about halfway, under the arch, so when i shift, my foot hits the peg and has an extra 3 inches extending past, my feet are so huge there is no way i can miss a shift.

you can try adjusting the angle of the shifter lower or higher, but it seems like your best bet is to find one an inch shorter or so.

and you COULD make sure you dont armorall your pegs, if they are slippery than there is no way you can do anything with them. you just slide off haha

Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 PM
cHarley
Club Member

The need to adjust the shifter peg is pretty routine depending on not only your foot size but the style of boot that you wear when riding. I wear a fairly heavy duty boot that requires extra clearance between the foot and shifter pegs. If I try to ride with something closer to a street shoe, the shifter needs to be readjusted or I literally have to lift my leg to do an up-shift.

The shift peg should be adjusted with your normal riding boots on so that it only requires an easy upwards rock of the foot to up-shift, without lifting the foot off the foot peg.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:41 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a heel shifter only, works for me.

Quick Reply: Foot slipping while trying to shift