Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:21 PM
bendawg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for winter?

Just wondering what you guys do when you put your rides to rest for a few months. I have never really done anything but park it in the back of the garage. I have never disconnected the battery or drained the gas. Every spring, I change the oil and fill it with some fresh gas and start it up. Runs a little ruff for a few minutes but clears up and runs perfect. What are your ways of putting your rides down for a little nap?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:24 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, living in SoCal, I don't have to put it to rest in the winter for a few months. Riding year around

Old 09-17-2008, 04:28 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you kiddn? Still 85F here in Vancouver BC yesterday, don't even mention.
What do I do in the winter? Winterize my bike, plug the battery tender and go Skiing lol.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in Ohio. I rode mine until Feburary. I remember riding on Christmas day while everyone was shoveling snow. People looked at me funny.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:29 PM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to ride as much as I can. The weather here doesn't stay that cold for very long at a time. But I will put a trickle charger on in just in case. I would never drain the gas, too worried about the tank rusting.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheels4ever
I try to ride as much as I can. The weather here doesn't stay that cold for very long at a time. But I will put a trickle charger on in just in case. I would never drain the gas, too worried about the tank rusting.

If you would fill in your "Location" in your profile, we might have a clue where HERE is.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:39 PM
cpl215
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in GA, usually even in Jan and Feb you can count on a couple of days in 50's.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ok... here we go...
1. pull the battery (some say you do not have to but if you are not going to winter ride pull it) if you are get a tender, even the cheap one harbor freight has works awesome got it on 5 bikes
2. lay down some carpet under the bike, it will prevent moisture from rising thought the concrete and oxidizing your bike
3. staybil in the gas
4. moth ***** and some charchole like you use in a grill on your seat on a paper plate under the cover... this will soak up any extra moisure in the air and keep the critters away
5. spay the bikes exhaust (up the back of the pipe) with WD-40, and spray the motor as well
6. Cover the bike so you dont get dirt and crap on it (walmart has covers for $20
7. start the bike at least 2x's a month
8. move the bike at least 2x's a month to keep flat spots from forming in your tires
9. at the end of the season change your fluids... the temp changes will create moisture on the insides of your cases and ruin your old fluids (so do nt change the fluids and store)

*I ride year round but have several bikes... my girls does not ride year round so her bike gets this treatment as do seveal of my customers and friends... every summer they fire right up and are fine... do not overlook the carpet! makes a huge diff exp with the salt and crap that is aroudn in the winter...

Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, if I know I'm not going to ride a lot, like during hunting season, I'll just add some fuel stabilizer like Stabil, run it for a while to get the Stabil & fuel mixture running through the carb for a while, then turn off the petcock & let the bike run until it runs itself out of gas that remained in the fuel line. I've never removed my battery or thrown a battery tender on my bike in the past 8 years. I just start it occasionally or may sneak in a quick couple rides throughout the season. Oh, and I say hunting season instead of winter because I rarely ride from mid-October to whenever I fill all my tags due to the fact that I'll either have my daughter, (shared custody from divorce), or I'll be in the woods on the days that I don't have her. Other than hunting season, I ride all year round....I've ridden in every month so far this year....See sig pic, that background is snow on the ground.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 09-18-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put... ride up?

I'm confused by this concept. You're telling me you actually want to stop riding for a bit? Why is this? What deep voodoo would make you part with your mistress?!?

Wear long underwear I ride in the mountains of colorado in the winter.

Quick Reply: Ready for winter?