Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrestled a 500 pound bear yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:05 PM
rgswaim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrestled a 500 pound bear yesterday

Took a 200 mile trip and I feel like I have been beaten half to death. I have an 08 XL1200C with forward controls. I am in need of some mid pegs and a seat of some kind with comfort. This is the first forward controls I have had. It set me back where all my weight was on my tailbone. My feet instincfully kept wanting to rest on a mid peg instead of the forward peg. Almost stepped on the ground a couple of times. Can you guys recommend:

Where to get the mid pegs?

A seat that is comfortable and a back rest that actually is close enough for my back to rest against?

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:14 PM
vegasrock
Tourer

have you thought of just getting mid controls and getting highway pegs for the longer distances to change positioning every once in awhile?

i personally find mid controls very comfortable. I installed highway pegs so i could stretch out a little for the longer trips.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am sure there would be someone on here willing to trade. I have a 02 XLH with forwards and my nightster has mids, I prefer the mids too.. I am always putting my feet on the rear pegs of the hugger for comfort.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 PM
63GHIA
Advanced

I am looking for foward controls, want to trade?
As for a seat look for a Mustang very nice seat, I would do 200 miles with no problem in that seat. My son has the one with the back rest and just loves it....
Let me know if I can help.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the stock seat, the most common complaint that I've found was the seat puts undo pressure on the tailbone. The stock seat doesn't distribute your weight evenly, puts the rider on the tailbone, and doesn't allow movement or shifting of weight. Mustange Vintage makes a good seat, and the Sundowner gets good reviews here, but of these seats are combined with forward controls. I have forward controls on my Low (which come stock with mids). Sometimes on long trips, I'll put my feet on the passenger pegs for a little while...instant mids. Your friendly neighborhood Harley dealer should have mid controls. Also I think Kuryakyn carries them for sportsters.

I've put 330 miles in 6 hours on a rental Sportster with mid controls and the stock seat...mostly on interstate 35 between Waco and Austin, TX. I didn't like the mid-pegs. I rode the first 850 miles with the stock seat and forward controls on my current bike. It took seven days for me to do that, 200 of which was from Fort Worth to Waco, TX and back for a daytrip. The stock seat puts pressure on my tailbone, so I got another seat.

I'm a short $hit, meaning I couldn't even flat foot the 1200 LOW in stock configuration. I have 11" Progressive 412 shocks and an HD branded Reach two up seat. Now, I can flat foot the bike (helps when backing up). Generally, my pack or bag bungeed to the passenger pillon and sissy bar serves as a backrest, but I don't rely on it for that. I don't know all the companies that make seats for Sportsters with driver backrests, but I think Corbin makes some good ones. You'll pay for them though.

Another option is having Allen at Mean City Cycles modify your current stock seat. If you feel the seat pan itself has potential, he can re-do the foam from the pan up, and get that notorious hotspot off your tailbone.

I don't know your riding experience, but 200 miles on a Sportster is a fairly long distance, especially if you're not used to riding that far. The more often you ride distance, the longer you will be able to ride distance. Regardless, the stock seats suck for the majority of riders, and that hotspot on the tailbone will NOT go away. I definitely recommend a new seat. HD-branded Sundowner, Mustang Wide Vintage, C&C Seats, Corbin, or get Mean City Cycles to redo your stock seat.

Teek

Old 09-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

I like my forwards, just sold a set of mids a week or so ago.

As fot the seat, Check out mustang seats. I got a mustang vintage solo and have never had a on road complaint. You can also get a driver back rest for their seats.

enjoy the ride!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Fear Night
Tourer

The forward controls are not the problem, it's the seat. Try riding mid pegs for 200 miles and then you'll have cramped legs AND a sore tailbone.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
cpl215
Tourer

I just put on a mustang wide vintage. Rode 100 miles today just to be riding. I was never uncomfortable and could have easily have ridden another 100, and I expect the seat to get even better as it gets broken in.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I think you should try a new seat first, I put a Sundowner on mine and it made a different bike out of it.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

trust me it's the seat not the forwards. I just started the move to forwards

Quick Reply: Wrestled a 500 pound bear yesterday