Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver thing attached to a spring left side....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 PM
ChayHay8
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver thing attached to a spring left side....

Anyone know what that silver thing attached to a spring on the left hand side of the bike is? Evidently I don't have a clue what it is. Been ridin', after a 25 year layoff, for a week and a half....pulled it into the garage....put it in neutral and yup.....went ahead and layed it down allright! DOH!! Dumb@$$!! Yeah that'd be me. Figured I'd share, knew y'all would get a good laugh about it.

Chuck

Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
rdss
Road Captain

Can you post a pic? It might help out with identifying your "silver thing attached to a spring".

Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 PM
ChayHay8
Advanced

Originally Posted by rdss
Can you post a pic? It might help out with identifying your "silver thing attached to a spring".
Looked at the owners manual.....looks like it's something called a kickstand. Who knew?!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM
rdss
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ChayHay8
Looked at the owners manual.....looks like it's something called a kickstand. Who knew?!
LOL atleast you have some humor. I was moving my first bike out of the garage and parked it on the side walk, thought the kick stand was still down and just got off. Luckily it fell into the grass and just snapped the left foot peg, no plastic damage (it was a crotch rocket). Did you have any damage or did it just damage a little pride?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
ChayHay8
Advanced

Originally Posted by rdss
LOL atleast you have some humor. I was moving my first bike out of the garage and parked it on the side walk, thought the kick stand was still down and just got off. Luckily it fell into the grass and just snapped the left foot peg, no plastic damage (it was a crotch rocket). Did you have any damage or did it just damage a little pride?
I've got engine guards and realized it at a point where I could still hang on and ease it down a bit. It just popped off the rear turn signal cover....I popped it back on and went for a ride just to make sure all was good. Just a bit of pride damage and not much else. Plus it was in my garage and no neighbors were around!! Still think it was pretty funny....I'll be telling this story at work tomorrow.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

i laughed a little at your expense...thank you,sir,for that

but don't feel too bad...i laid mine down in the driveway (thanks to a punkass kid neighbor who left a sunny-d bottle in the middle of my driveway) the 1st week i had her home

Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 AM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doh!. In the Rider's Edge class I took the 2 instructors were big kickstand guys. Always check it when you stop, and always make sure it's up before you go. Took one student a whole hour to forget to put it down. After they got back up from under the bike, they never forgot again.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Colbridge
Intermediate

Two types of riders, those who have dropped thier bike and those who will. Sounds like you got off easy. I came flying up my street and right in front of my house was a pile of wet leaves courtesy of the neighbor. I hit them and my back slid right out from under me. The very few neighbors who weren't out to witness it came running out once I started yelling. I picked it up with one hand and drove straight back to my shed. By the time I came back out front the leaves were gone. I think my show of anger/strength by picking it up so quickly got people thinking and they removed the leaves.

The best part is I don't have a tree within 30 feet of my house.

If that's the worst that ever happens to me, I will fininsh way ahead of the game..

Enjoy the new ride...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Almost did it at a gas station the other day, remembered in the nick of time...humor is essential and pride will heal.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 AM
creekhed1
Road Master

I tend to "Triple Check" the Jiffy... I even kick at it again after it's down to MAKE SURE it is fully "deployed" as I am paranoid that it is not FULLY down and will collapse once I put weight on it!

Quick Reply: Silver thing attached to a spring left side....