Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weather is starting to turn here in KS... lets talk cold weather gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
pr_capone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather is starting to turn here in KS... lets talk cold weather gear

What gear do you wear, recommend, and simply cannot live without for cold weather riding?

I'm talking brands, makes, models, where to get them & about how much they run.

All of last year I wore my trench but that is simply not gonna cut it this time around. Too bulky and uncomfortable. I am thinking of getting one of those one piece garage suits that they sell at the hardware store. Seem like they would be pretty warm.

Also getting a pair of heated socks (heat sox brand) and are widely available on the net for $24.99 + shipping. All the reviews I read on it said that they were a pretty good product. It takes C batteries and the batteries would last about 6 hours of continuous use.

I would like some ideas about how to keep my FF helmet from fogging up... that drove me bat **** crazy last winter and would like to avoid a repeat.

Also, any suggestions on gloves? I wore some $10 thinsulate gloves last year that would get me to work *JUST* short of frostbite. lol I'd like to keep my fingers a bit warmer this year so suggestions there would be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:40 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i ride year round... good leather jacket, windshield, good gloves, thermal long underwear... do a run from chicago to souther missouri every year late november... try rocking 85mph for 8 hrs... dont know why but i love cold weather riding!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:53 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I like layers. You could just snag a decent snowmobile suit, but, I don't care for such an all or nothing approach.

Leather jacket. Long sleeved t-shirt under it when it gets cooler. Add a hooded sweatshirt to that when it's cold. By then, you're probably sweating at the lights.

Legs are a little tougher - usually just stick with jeans, throw some thermal long john's under that when it's cold. Leather is warmer, but I can't bring myself to wear leather pants. Chaps are great for cutting the wind.

Gloves ... when it gets cold, your hands are going to be cold no matter which gloves you wear unless you go with heated grips or gloves. Same with your feet - heated socks are the way to go.

Face/head - Full faced helmet. When it's very cold, I used to wear a Navy extreme foul weather mask under the helmet. Don't have one any more. Haven't decided on a replacement yet.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:35 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

leather and long underwear. as far as your full face . if you crack it just a hair it will clear then put it back down.good gloves and a good scarf will help. if you dont have any of it.you are looking at 350 to 400 dollars . and that is bargain prices.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 AM
BradNailer
Cruiser

Rain-X makes an anti-fog product that you can apply to the inside of your faceshield. Works well.
Gloves area toughy cause it's hard to find ones that are warm without being bulky.
I'm thinking of getting some snowmobile pants or maybe bibs.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lots of things I can (and do) wear in cold weather. Heated grips have been the best investment so far. Heated gloves would provide more warmth but the ones I've seen have just been too bulky for my little hands. The key is blocking the wind, and not exposing any flesh. I have no problems wearing chaps or leather pants while riding in COLD! Key here is COLD! Frostbite/hypothermia cold! Leather is excellent for blocking wind.

Generally, I'll layer...synthetic long johns, a cotton flannel, chamois, sweatshirt, or wool shirt, synthetic sock liners with wool/synthetic hunting socks, normal riding/everyday boots (sized to fit with the socks), denim jeans with chaps or leather pants if it's cold enough for long enough, leather or synthetic weather proof jacket, balaclava or bandana around the neck/chin, and modular helmet. Leather or synthetic gloves, but either is gonna be weather resistant at least. Maybe a silk or synthetic glove liner, too. I personally think the best insulation is Thermolite from DuPont, but most gloves have 40 grams of 3M Thinsulate (still a good insulation). Mittens are incredibly warm, but I'm just not comfortable riding with them. It takes a while to get dressed, but I don't feel like the Michelin Man. I still have freedom of movement. Comfortable for ME to below freezing all the way up to the upper 40's.

I may try to pick up a thin Under Armour Cold Gear head beanie and an Under Armour synthetic hooded sweatshirt for extra protection and more options. I also have an HD weatherproof zippered hoodie I like to wear in cool-to-cold weather. Not a lot of insulation, but it's still warm, blocks the wind and rain, and works.

I'm gonna go on a rather lengthy trip end of September to early October to pick up the Mascot in Yuma, AZ. I have to plan for 110 down to the 30's cause I'm probably gonna come up to Colorado and then scoot across to Dodge City before heading home (you MIGHT convince me to come up your way if ya wanna sign it...let me know).

Teek

Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 AM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Polypro. Lots of it.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://modernworld.com/mw2008/index....chk=1&Itemid=1

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ty-progrip.htm

The webbikeworld article is an older one, but still valid. I've used both, and still do. The Pro Grip is on my HJC 3/4 and the Fog City photochromatic is on my HJC modular. I also have a standard Fog City insert on a Vega modular I don't use any more. Never had a fogging problem once I put these puppies on. I'd prefer a color besides cobalt, such as amber, but it gives good UV, sun and glare protection and I have no problems riding at night. The standard clear insert is cheaper and if you wear your own shades anyway, is the one to get. Either one will work, but be forewarned...read all the installation instructions before you start, make sure the face shield is CLEAN and dry. If ya mess up, you're gonna have to start over....and THAT means buying a new insert AND face shield! As long as you're patient and understand that an air pocket between shield and insert is critical to the anti-fogging , you won't try to "smooth it out" because it "doesn't fit right". You get slight distortion in certain situations, but it doesn't bother me a bit.

Or you could use Lemon Pledge every time you ride.

I was not aware Rain-X made anything that was safe for clear plastics....but if they do, I'd love to try it out on my windshield and on the outside of my faceshield if it works for repelling rain, too. I've been using the inserts for two years and don't need anything else for fogging. I ride year round...most of my fogging is from the cold.

Teek

Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is a link to RainX anti-fog product I've never used it but it looks like it might be worth a try.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The BEST long john type of clothes I have found that actually work so far have been the Polartec brand, and it's less expensive than the UnderArmour stuff. I've found myself wearing this stuff under my regular riding gear without the need to wear my chaps or the zip in liner of my jacket. I bought my Polartec gear at Cabela's. I'd attach the link to the stuff, but that link was freakin' huge. Anyway, for the helmet fog, I've heard good things about that Rain-X anti-fog stuff, but I've never used it. I've used just good old Lemon Pledge, as it cuts down on the fog and it freshens up the helmet with the lemon-y scent.

Quick Reply: Weather is starting to turn here in KS... lets talk cold weather gear