Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weather is starting to turn here in KS... lets talk cold weather gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, I'm down in the SE Kansas, NE Oklahoma, NW Arkansas, SW Missouri border area, and we got down to 44 this morning... Week or so ago it was almost 100..

I ride year around and don't 'winterize' my bikes like many. Come to think about it, I don't 'winterize' any of my cars or trucks either. My Harley's aren't Bears, so they don't need to go into hibernation during the winter months......

Usually in colder temperatures, in the 30's or lower, I'll wear lightweight insulated underwear. Still wear the regular Wrangler 13MWZ's over them and maybe a zip up sweater or leather shirt instead of the normal sleeveless T's..

I don't wear a helmet but if it gets real cold outside I'll usually wear a Schampa WarmSkin Balaclava, which does an excellent job of keeping your head, face and neck warm.

Depending on the temperature I'll wear one of my 2 favorite leather jackets, which have been used for 25+ years in all elements and they still look and function great. (Only thing I do is treat them with Lexol once or twice a year).

One of them has a permanent Thinsulate lining and I usually put it on it the temperatures are in the 30's or lower. The other one has a nylon lining and a zip out Thinsulate lining. I usually leave the Thinsulate lining out of it and just wear it with the regular nylon lining until the temperatures get into the 30's.

Never felt the need to use any of the newer "electrontic heated" clothing. I imagine it might help to keep you warmer when it gets into the teens, but I do fine with just the basic stuff..

Oh, almost forget.... When it gets cold I also swap out my gel palmed fingerless gloves for gel palmed full finger gloves.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 AM
LoneStranger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of really great electronic heated garmets (jackets, vests, gloves, etc)available now, but the only one I think I will need here in So Cal is the faceshield. I've used them for years on snowmobiles and they work great.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 PM
tennmoto
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Gerbing?

I have installed a bettery tender wire to all my bikes and plugged my gerbing jacket into it. Will the sporty carry the load? If you guys don;t know guess I'll find out soon.

steve
1200rrrr

Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 PM
SHOAT
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full face helmet, Thinsulate lined jacket (I have a CoreTec Denim jacket and a leather jacket), sweat shirt, jeans and a pair of Mossi snowmobile bibs that I found on sale in the Sportsman's Guide for around $40. Steel toed work boots and thinsulate lined gloves over silk liners. I need to get a neck gaiter and a better pair of gloves. I may also need to get a mask if I wear my half helmet this winter.