Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally found what it'd take to get me comfortable on a sporty... is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't like the idea of highway pegs either... I'd be really freaked not having a brake out there. Any way to have a rear brake pedal on the highway pegs as well as the mids?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Hiway pegs are called that because they are to be used out on the hiway,but aside from that on a Sportster it's not far to hit the brake from the peg or you could wear a spur.....

Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Hiway pegs are called that because they are to be used out on the hiway,but aside from that on a Sportster it's not far to hit the brake from the peg or you could wear a spur.....

things jump out in front of you everywhere Emergency braking is good

Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 PM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a really big guy myself, 6'2", 290lbs, I ride a 2001 XLH 883, I have forward controls, and its pretty darn comfortable.

here is my bike:

Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pottsy
Is the clearance and handling impacted that much with forward controls?
In a word... YES!!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
I really don't like the idea of highway pegs either... I'd be really freaked not having a brake out there. Any way to have a rear brake pedal on the highway pegs as well as the mids?
Yes... but you'd have to fabricate the linkage - and it would get really complicated really fast...

Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bacon_Grease
Yes... but you'd have to fabricate the linkage - and it would get really complicated really fast...
ROFL. Yeah, probably not a good idea.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master

Ok, given the fact that I'm a BIG guy (6'1, 280 lbs), with huge legs (34" inseam, but legs like a bloody treetrunk), my seating position is the problem. The only way my legs work on this is with me sitting far enough back that I'm actually putting my weight partially up the horn - the slope back to the passenger seat. Obviously, that portion was never built to be sat upon, being sloped, thin, and sucky. If I move down to the lower section, I have very poor control, my legs are exceptionally cramped beneath me, and I can't stand the bike at all - no way I'm doing that. Moving back to the passenger pillion sucks, it's not built for that either

So the question is- what seats move that slope back 2-3", or is that even doable given the underlying frame? Am I going to have to move up to a bigger bike that has more legroom?
OK, I think I'm getting a handle on your issues.

I find myself sitting on the hump heading up to the rear seat quite a bit, too. The Saddleman gel pad makes that far more palatable, but it's far from ideal.

A far better solution is to call the folks at Day Long. This is, literally, right up their alley. They will work with you to make you happy on that bike. They do REAL custom seats (not from a shelf "custom" like Corbin, Saddleman and Mustang - real, honest to goodness, hand made to fit your specific bike, your specific butt and your specific riding style) They can build the seat to lift you up slightly and scoot you back on the bike.

Plus, they give you a 100% money back guarantee - something that you won't get from other "custom" seat manufacturers.

Seriously, give them a call. The worst possible outcome is that you'll be in the same place you are now. The best case is they'll put a seat under your butt that will make you WANT to ride everywhere.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master

It's a hold over from my sports bike days.
*grin*

I love it how the guys on the bikes with the most cornering clearance scrape more parts than the ones with far less cornering clearance.

Makes you think about life.... and how much more fun things are when the sparks are flying and the tires howling.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

I'll give day long a call. Before I do that though, I'm going by the dealer... they have a 2004 Sloptail Standard that for some reason really caught my eye. As much as I hate the "B" motor... there's something about that bike. I have to go at least take a look.

Quick Reply: Finally found what it'd take to get me comfortable on a sporty... is this possible?