Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best speed to shift at? Since I don't have a Tach!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
harleychicknj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
That's almost right...

Lug means to put load unhealthy load on the engine... engines create more power at higher RPMs, 'till the torque curve really falls off. At low RPMs your bike is not creating much power... if you really hammer the throttle, you can do damage... you're bike can idle... 1000rpms doesn't hurt the bike... 1000rpms at full throttle and you on top will hurt the engine...

You're engine functions best in the power-band, that is the area between peak torque and peak horsepower... depending on gearing, sometimes you want to bring it past peak horsepower for max acell... but simply put, when you want to move, you want to shift it so you are riding between max tq and max hp... you that's probably between about 3krpm and about 5.5krpms... when you are running it below that, that's fine... but you probably don't want to hammer it too hard... if you need to move quick, downshift.

Can you say that in english? I don't have a tach and just kind of feel it and down shift if the bike is chugging (which typically happens when slowing) and upshift if its pulling or looking for more power. Is that harmful?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harleychicknj
Can you say that in english? I don't have a tach and just kind of feel it and down shift if the bike is chugging (which typically happens when slowing) and upshift if its pulling or looking for more power. Is that harmful?
I'm not sure how else to say it... you sound like you're doing it right... you might consider getting a tach if you want to get the most out of your engine, whether that is power or fuel econ, at any given time... If you are putting along comfortably, and you want to accelerate, and it's going to take more than 10% to get you where you want to be, downshift.

If you are going steady over 40mph, or flat road, 6th gear will not lug it, but you will need to downshift at least to 4th to get pulling hard again to pass that car.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VENNUM
will and ezrider62881235678947 or what ever your id is, Thanks for your less than $0.02 cents of worthless info and input.

Shi#@#$^%, with people like you two who needs enemies!

Feel free to keep your comments to yourself, this is suppose to be some type of support forum for Harley Davidson owners and your telling fellow members to buy other bikes.

Don't get me wrong, I am not mad just disappointed that fellow members would verbalize such lack of support.
hey it's my .02 well less according to you, if you don't like it tough S*&T, you asked, you didnt ask for support you asked a question. Bottom line is if you don't know what your shift points are maybe you should get another hobby, or hey crack an owners manuel. God forbid you do some research before you ask strangers how to operate a motor vehicle. I am glad that you and I will not be on the same highway.

I don't think I verbalized a lack of support just a need for an individual to get more educated about his riding skills.....jeez did you ask what the shift points were when you got your first car?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:46 PM
VENNUM
Cruiser

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Damn it boy!

Panties in a bunch are they?

Let's all sing along now!!!

There's a tear in my beer, someone give me quarter so I can call a person who cares.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
will227457
Road Master

Lol.....

Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM
VENNUM
Cruiser

Hey Will,

its all good!!!

Enjoy your HD.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 AM
ezryder62881
Tourer

Originally Posted by VENNUM
will and ezrider62881235678947 or what ever your id is, Thanks for your less than $0.02 cents of worthless info and input.

Shi#@#$^%, with people like you two who needs enemies!

Feel free to keep your comments to yourself, this is suppose to be some type of support forum for Harley Davidson owners and your telling fellow members to buy other bikes.

Don't get me wrong, I am not mad just disappointed that fellow members would verbalize such lack of support.
Vennum, if you could read, you'd know what my id is--its there in black and white. And if you had read my original post you would see that I NEVER told ANYONE to buy ANY other bike. Done puttin words in my mouth? It seems pretty basic. If someone had any experience with any type of manual trans at all, then they should know when to shift. The very first basic thing you learn when driving a manual trans. And if a person does NOT possess this knowledge then what are they doing on a big street bike of ANY kind without some training? Wow! Guess you have the right moniker "Venom" pretty well suits you!
Oh, and I DO feel free to keep my comments to myself as you should also. I also feel free to post my comments whenever I like. I'm sorry that you're "disappointed that fellow members would verbalize such lack of support", but I myself am "disappointed that fellow members would fail to learn the very basics of riding before attempting to ride. Have a good one!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:48 AM
VENNUM
Cruiser

"Done puttin words in my mouth?" ezryder62881

Enough said!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member

Not sure how it works with the new ones...

I usually wait until everything in the mirrors become unrecognizable... then I'll shift up...
then I'll down shift when everything in the mirrors is clear!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
harleychicknj
Advanced

Thanks Monk! Glad to know I seem to be doing it right.

Quick Reply: Best speed to shift at? Since I don't have a Tach!