Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help - it happened

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If I were you, I'd give me yer Sporty and then you can get yer Softail

Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good advice here. I'll add my .02. You already have one SWEET bike. However, as has been said, it is your choice. Don't be hasty, test ride and decide what type of bike really best suits you...and wait awhile before doing anything. No sense in taking a big loss.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
BriXL04
Novice

just remember what ever you do end up doing.. your gonna put money into either one.. just think about what you already have done.. and if you really wanna go and do it all over again.. and never get the same performance out of it like you may have now... my dad has a fatboy.. very nice bike.. but way to big and slow for my liking.. get whatever you can afford and like the ride of.. thats what i would say

Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 PM
krismac23
Cruiser

buy some1's used harley, it's cheaper and you'll enjoy it just as much IMO

Old 08-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm.....Softail Deluxe or 1200C 105th Anniversary? Softail Deluxe or Sportster? Corvette or Cadillac? Mustang or Lincoln Town Car? The Softail Deluxe is one sweet bike, IMO. I certainly won't rule one out in my future. But my Sportster fits me for what I do with it...which is just about anything. I ride it daily. If I get another bike, I'm not gonna get rid of it...I'll just have two for different purposes. Right now though, having a 2007 Sportster and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee is enough vehicles for me.

Think carefully about what you want a bike to do for you, and what you are going to do with it...make your decision accordingly.

Teek

Old 08-28-2008, 07:01 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Not long after I bought my Sporty (last July) I started thinking I should have bought a Softail instead. Began looking at them, talking to the dealer, the wife, etc. As time went on I started to appreciate the Sporty more and more and started thinking about changing bikes less and less. She's got a hair under 11,000 miles now and I'm glad I stayed with her. I saved a ton of money and avoided a big loss to boot. Bottom line is take the advice others have given and take your time (months, not days or weeks)...when in doubt, do nothing. You can always buy a new bike, but you can't recover a loss.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Sportacus
Novice

I've been contemplating a cruiser for awhile now. Two things happen. First, every time I get on the Sportster and go for a ride, it changes my mind. The Sporty is the best bike for all around riding here in central PA. Second, now is not the best time to be buying. Jan-Feb would be ideal. Off season, Christmas bills adding up, and a bike may have been sitting for awhile, in someone's garage or on the dealer's floor, putting the seller at a disadvantage. Money shouts louder under those circumstances. Patience is a virtue. I've been riding all the demos I can for over a year now. Softtail is nice to look at but leaves a bit to be desired in handling over the Ultra/Road Glide/King. The Deuce was decent but I believe they disco'd that. Just my thoughts for what it's worth. Best wishes on your decision.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Bevo05
6th Gear

Thanks for all the help guys.....One reason I started thinking that way is cause like one person said my wife started riding with me more. But I think I am going to keep the sporty and keep tinkering with it (one of the reasons I bought it). Plus I do like the fact that I can get up to the speed limit so damn fast. Once I get a few other things paid off I have made up my mind I will be parking 2 bikes in the garage....and maybe later 3!!!

I am only 26.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Keep the sportster and get the softail!

That was easy!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i made the switch to a deluxe and love it. that being said, i had rented one in daytona last year and put about 400 miles on it... so i knew what I was in for.

I traded in my 06 883L / 1200 conversion with 10,000 miles...and got a great deal. but... that was because they were VERY low on sportsters as they've been selling like hot cakes, and they needed to get rid of the left over 08 softails to make room for the 09's. I dealt directly with the store gm so there was no real haggling involved. He gave me exactly what I paid for my sportster 2 and 1/2 years ago.. so i think i did pretty well on trade.

best of luck.. the deluxe is a beautiful bike and I personally love the way it rides and handles. It feels more stable to me than the sportster did.

rob

Quick Reply: Please Help - it happened