Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k... I'll try the seafoam and let you guys know what happens.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser

So this morning I was just lookin over the bike and noticed that my exhaust mount (to the frame) snapped and has a hole in my exhaust now. So I've figured out why it sounds funky. On my ride home this afternoon I was cruising around 80 and my bike started acting like it was out of fuel. Luckily I was going down hill so I could keep some speed up. I had just refilled before I left so I wasn't out of fuel.

Do you think this is probably a clogged fuel filter? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet because I've been too busy. I'll be doing my 15k maint tomorrow morning, so I'll do it then. Will the seafoam clean that out? Anything else you would recommend I do while I'm doing the 15k tomorrow?

Old 08-30-2008, 12:07 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would drain the tank and remove the petcock.See if the screen looks dirty.If it does,I would remove the tank and flush it out.Clean the screen and put it back together.But make sure everything is perfectly dry first!If you do have a fuel filter,I'd remove it for now.You can always put another one on after you get the bike running right.Keep us posted!

Old 08-30-2008, 03:00 AM
stlboarder
Cruiser

I meant the screen... not an actual filter... sorry.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:25 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stlboarder
So this morning I was just lookin over the bike and noticed that my exhaust mount (to the frame) snapped and has a hole in my exhaust now. So I've figured out why it sounds funky. On my ride home this afternoon I was cruising around 80 and my bike started acting like it was out of fuel. Luckily I was going down hill so I could keep some speed up. I had just refilled before I left so I wasn't out of fuel.

Do you think this is probably a clogged fuel filter? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet because I've been too busy. I'll be doing my 15k maint tomorrow morning, so I'll do it then. Will the seafoam clean that out? Anything else you would recommend I do while I'm doing the 15k tomorrow?

My exhuast pipe broke completely at the crossover tube connection and the bike started cutting out above 65 mph. fixed the pipe and my bike started cutting out at 80 mph, then i realized my coil was bad and replaced it and all is back to better now.

exhuast leaks will kill top end.

also, dont rely on the screen filter, instead install a high quality visual inspection style in-line fuel filter.

and run a lot of seafoam through the bike to make sure your jets are not clogged. seafoam works wonders for dirty carbs. it cant fix mechanicle problems, but it will eliminate the possibility of varnished gas and carbon in your jets and passages

Old 08-30-2008, 02:44 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser

I just rebuilt the carb a few months ago... but I pulled it off anyway last night and cleaned it up. There wasn't anything dirty.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:04 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

I just rebuilt the carb a few months ago... but I pulled it off anyway last night and cleaned it up. There wasn't anything dirty.
the build up isnt always visible just by looking at it. it collects in the bends and turns of small passages and carb jets, also in small crevices inside the carb.

only a carb thats been sitting with gas in it for maybe 5 years will show a large mass of sludge

Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser

Ah... makes sense. I sprayed it out with carb cleaner and when I bolt everything on I'm going to run sea foam through everything. Hopefully that fixes it.

Will sea foam clean the fuel screen or do I need to pull it out still?

Old 08-30-2008, 11:45 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can't hurt to pull the screen and clean it.It won't cost you anything but a little time.And it's one more thing to cross off the list of possible causes.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:22 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

Ah... makes sense. I sprayed it out with carb cleaner and when I bolt everything on I'm going to run sea foam through everything. Hopefully that fixes it.

Will sea foam clean the fuel screen or do I need to pull it out still?

the fuel screen most likely has larger stuff stuck to it, you should pull it out and blast it from the outside in and inside out with carb cleaner

Quick Reply: Engine Cuts Out