Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hanger's Comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbergloff
Too subjective for a solid answer? I'm just asking if people with tall apes are still comfortable on longer trips. I think that's a pretty straight forward question that is easily answered by those who have them. This would be a big change on my bike, and I think asking around is best before blindly jumping into it. I just want others opinions, I'll figure out how I feel about them later.
Not subjective... if your hands are above your shoulders you will loose blood and your arms will go numb eventually... everyone is different and will have a different tolerance for it... and if you have good circulation it will take longer... but that's just a fact... your arms ain't designed to be suspended that high...

I wouldn't do it on a sportster... that's just me... but they are one more step towards looks (and I think it would look funny on a nightster as well) and away from functionality... they belong on sloptails IMHO and hardtails that don't travel further than the bar...

Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
BadMoon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16" X 1.25" Black apes

I have been ridn my nightster since last Dec. with myt 16's and love them. I have experienced less numbness in the throttle hand and have spents hours ridn. I went on a 4 day trip to the hill country (Tx) riding pretty much all day on three of the four and had no problems whatsoever. Everyone's different though, good luck! Quite a few photos in my gallery.

Last edited by BadMoon; 08-22-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Additional text
Old 08-22-2008, 06:20 PM
ladyhog
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have the bigger apes, I have the mini's so take this for what its worth.

I was having a hard time leaning forward with the stock bars and it just wasn't comfortable for me, added the mini's and it's made a world of difference in my ride. I can now sit up and having my hands up is way better for me.

HTH

Old 08-22-2008, 11:25 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to just go ahead and do it, as soon as I get the design figured out.

Originally Posted by BadMoon
I have been ridn my nightster since last Dec. with myt 16's and love them. I have experienced less numbness in the throttle hand and have spents hours ridn. I went on a 4 day trip to the hill country (Tx) riding pretty much all day on three of the four and had no problems whatsoever. Everyone's different though, good luck! Quite a few photos in my gallery.
I really like those bars! Where did you get them?

Old 09-30-2008, 06:16 PM
cflchurch
Advanced

bad moon , what make are those bars? they are t!ts......

Old 09-30-2008, 06:27 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm comfy with my apes and when I ride a different bike with low bars my back starts to get sore. But as everyone else has said it is subjective. I find that I can get used to most anything but my apes are just so comfy. What color is your favorite color is a question that is on spot with this question. I say do it.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:42 AM
LoneRyder
Tourer

I have 14"s on my sporty and have less numbness than I did with the drags on there. I love my apes and am not goin back anytime soon. To each his own though.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:40 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Originally Posted by sbergloff
I really like the look of ape hangers, and I'm thinking about putting some on my Nightster. I like the look of the really tall, thick black gloss bars. I'm worried about comfort though. I ride my bike as my daily driver to work, and everywhere else. Will ape hangers be uncomfortable on long rides? I've heard mixed feedback on this, so anybody feel free to comment. I'm not talking about HD's mini-apes. I'm thinking about maybe 16" or 18" rise.
My kid is about to install gloss black 16" narrow glide apes on his 08 1200c. They are only 1" bars but drilled for internal wiring. He was keeping with the narrow look of the 1200c. The bars are only 32" wide. He's using 1" risers and Barnett Black stainless cables. I'll post some pics when he is done

Attached Thumbnails Ape Hanger's Comfort?-copy-of-p1010837.jpg  
Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Comfort is a widely varying subject. You could ask the same question about riding a hard-tail, and get just as many different answers.
What may be comfortable to one person, may be painful to 6 other people. And vise-versa.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:18 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are 12" narrow glide bars
way better than before
comfort you say?
great thats it
and ride all day with them
here is some pic with weenyshield on

Attached Thumbnails Ape Hanger's Comfort?-dscn0702.jpg   Ape Hanger's Comfort?-dscn0704.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ape Hanger's Comfort?