Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet fit question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Handycam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet fit question

I have an HJC 3/4 helmet that I bought at the dealer when I got the bike. It has a flip-down lexan face shield. It seems to fit well enough, I tried bigger and smaller and it seemed the best overall.

However, lately I have been doing more highway-speed riding (65+) and the damn thing feels like it's being sucked off my head! It slides back off my forehead, I can feel wind getting under it (whooshing over the top of my head), and it strains at the strap. It's very annoying, to say the least, and I'm concerned it really doesn't fit as well as I thought. I usually have to put it firmly on my head first, and the buckle it as tight as I can get it to ride on the freeway.

Is this right? Is it the size, type, or make of helmet? Would you advise I replace it?

I don't really like full-face helmets, claustrophobic, I prefer 3/4 with a shield since I wear glasses. I'd wear a 1/2 except I'd need eye protection better than my RX glasses...

Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 AM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My helmet feels like the wind is trying to suck it off on the highway, if I don't have the strap tight enough. Make sure the strap is uncomfortably too tight, and see if it helps. I have a HD 3/4 helmet with flip-up face shield, and I am very happy with it.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Handycam
I have an HJC 3/4 helmet that I bought at the dealer when I got the bike. It has a flip-down lexan face shield. It seems to fit well enough, I tried bigger and smaller and it seemed the best overall.

However, lately I have been doing more highway-speed riding (65+) and the damn thing feels like it's being sucked off my head! It slides back off my forehead, I can feel wind getting under it (whooshing over the top of my head), and it strains at the strap. It's very annoying, to say the least, and I'm concerned it really doesn't fit as well as I thought. I usually have to put it firmly on my head first, and the buckle it as tight as I can get it to ride on the freeway.

Is this right? Is it the size, type, or make of helmet? Would you advise I replace it?

I don't really like full-face helmets, claustrophobic, I prefer 3/4 with a shield since I wear glasses. I'd wear a 1/2 except I'd need eye protection better than my RX glasses...
Assuming you don't ride constantly looking up... It's not supposed to be that way, especially if there's no visor to catch the wind. A new helmet shouldn't slide around on your head. My guess is that you bought a helmet that felt good (instead of a little tight) when new. and now it's broken in and the padding has packed down making it too large. You didn't say how long you have owned it, but you probably will need to wear a bandana or welders cap under it to "tighten" it up.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM
drewwho
Intermediate

mine is similar too at 65 or higher. I tried a tighter helmet but head hurt afterwards from being too tight.

Although it feels like it is pulling back I have yet to have someone ride along side me and look to see if it actually is. Mines not really pulling on strap too bad so maybe its really only moving a quarter inch or something. I got my windvest windscreen on now so no longer an issue but someday I may take that thing off.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:40 PM
drewwho
Intermediate

ohh, but mines a half helmet, seems like it should be less of an issue with 3/4

Old 08-20-2008, 12:48 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe your head is in between sizes, it happens. Smaller is too tight, bigger is too loose.
3/4 helmet should fit snugly, never had that problem on highway.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your helmet should fit snug. Too tight and it will put unwaited pressure on you head, too loose and it will ride up in the wind and could twist on your head if you fall. The padding will wear in some. all helmets fit differant make and style, it's best if you try them on first.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's it stays too tight after a while (like red spots on your forehead), you can always take some coarse sandpaper to any hotspots. It's only styrofoam under the lining.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Handycam

It sounds as if the helmet does not fit correctly. I believe you would be more comfortable shopping different brands and models of helmets. (HJC alone makes a dozen models of 3/4 helmets) Most likely one of those will fit your head better than the one you are in now.

One thing that you might want to keep in mind is that every helmet manufacturer makes helmets to fit different shape heads and there is almost no standardization in sizes.

I, for example, wear a large HJC CL-Max and HJC CL-SP, XL HJC Sy-Max, XXL Nolan N102. I could not find a proper fit in the HJC Sy-Max2 or Shoei Multitech...

For information on helmet head shapes and the brands that generally fit them, you might want to review the helmet pages on www.webbikeworld.com

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
It's it stays too tight after a while (like red spots on your forehead), you can always take some coarse sandpaper to any hotspots. It's only styrofoam under the lining.
Rather than sanding them, I prefer to adjust my helmet with the back of a spoon. I find the "hot spot" where my head presses too firmly against the helmet and I slowly compress the foam in that spot by pressing on it with the spoon and working it around a little.