Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spirited riding not possible on the Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
plysat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse, but I scrape the stand and muffler bolts all the time on my 08 1200N. It has 11" shocks, not sure what the C has. I replaced the pegs, and I've never scraped 'em yet 'cuz the other parts scrape first. :-) I think that's what the factory "feelers" are for, they probably hit pavement before the parts bolted to the frame.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:49 PM
plysat
Tourer

Originally Posted by FandA M
Scraping the kickstand is no more dangerous than scraping pegs.All it can do is scrape...
Well, yes and no. Worst case when scraping the pegs is they fold up when they hit hard... Worst case scraping frame mounted stuff, and obviously this depends on how hard you're leaning, is it can lever the back tire off the ground. That would be a bad thing.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Bryan53
Tourer

I scrap my jiffy stand every time I ride. Never had a problem. I have not scraped the pegs yet but have come close. I don't like leaning so far I scrape the pegs. But it doesn't hinder my riding at all.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Bryan53
Tourer

Take a good look at that jiffy stand it has some play in it. I can push mine closer to the frame like would happen when leaning into a turn. I don't think it is that much of a problem unless you lean so far you start scraping other stuff on that side.

Having someone help you lean the bike over finding how far you can lean it on the stand while in the up position. Then you can see when the danger in dragging that stand really occurs. You may have to lean all the way to the forward controls. I have put my forwards less than an inch from the ground and not had a problem because the stand is scraping.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:38 PM
plysat
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bryan53
Take a good look at that jiffy stand it has some play in it. I can push mine closer to the frame like would happen when leaning into a turn. I don't think it is that much of a problem unless you lean so far you start scraping other stuff on that side...
Agreed. I actually worry more about the exhaust bolts. No play at all there.
That said, you'd really have to be leaning hard for the levering affect to take over.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:09 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by plysat
Well, yes and no. Worst case when scraping the pegs is they fold up when they hit hard... Worst case scraping frame mounted stuff, and obviously this depends on how hard you're leaning, is it can lever the back tire off the ground. That would be a bad thing.
Scraping the kickstand will not lever the back tire off the ground.If you're leaning that far you're probably ****ed anyway.The kickstand is on a hinge, facing the rear of the bike.When you're in forward motion the only thing that will happen is it will scrape, pushing it in closer to the frame until it's parallel to the frame tube.You'll scrape your pegs before you bottom out your kickstand against the frame.My kickstand hangs down slightly(could use a new spring) and I scrape it constantly.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Charles:
Tourer

I scrape the stand all the time. I scrape the peg on the right and that scares the crap out of me every time.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:53 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahhhh.... never mind....

Charlie D.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:02 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The S, R and the standard are the best for "Spirited" riding. That's another reason I like my Sporty's to sit high.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 AM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

I've scrpaed peg and pipe in the right side but only a heel so far on the left. The stand stays tucked up pretty tight to the frame on mine. I'd guess that yours has a loose spring that's causing it to hang low.

Quick Reply: Spirited riding not possible on the Sporty?