Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Alternative to Negative and starting the bike with dead bat

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Jor3lBR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery, Solenoid or Starter?

Ok guys I edited the topic title because the situation has changed... Please ignore the 3 answers because they where referred to the initial problem I was dealing with.

I got the battery tender working on the battery out of the bike but nothing happens (the charging yellow light doesn't turn on).

I only see a green light saying the Battery Tender is on and saying the battery is charged!

The multimeter reads 13.3v out of the battery.

But the bike won't start it will give me the TEC TEC TEC TEC sound when I press the button but it won't start.

The battery is still the original and it's been sitting in the bike for a long time 3 years and bike had 100miles...

So is it possible for the battery read perfectly charged and be dead? Can the problem be something else (Solenoid, Starter, Ignition)?

This problem started when I left the ignition key ON and lights also on but the bike engine OFF for a couple of minutes while taking pictures. Then it would not start.

Since that day I can only use the bike starting "manually" (down hill in 2nd gear).

Last edited by Jor3lBR; 08-18-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: NEW ISSUE
Old 08-17-2008, 06:17 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

3rd gear would be a better choice for pop starting it.

I can't help you on the battery question, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:18 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

You don't need to get to the negative battery terminal, any bolt/screw that's screwed into the engine or frame will work.

If you want to "push" start the bike I suggest using 3rd or 4th gear and be ready to pull the clutch in as soon as it fires to keep it from stalling.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Jor3lBR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
3rd gear would be a better choice for pop starting it.

I can't help you on the battery question, but I'm sure someone will chime in.
Thanks FB I guess it's not harmful then :-) It's an easy trick to get you out of a jam :-)

I will install a SAE connector to the battery later to make this very easy, but until then the alligator clips on the solar panel charger seams a good option, I have the Clymer manual and there is a better picture of where the negative is bolted I will see if I can find it now.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Really depends how low the battery is. If you kill the battery completely, even popping wont keep it running. Had this happen to me. You require "some" battery to keep things going.

Far as charging, you can bet it will take some time. A 2 amp charger still takes the better part of a day to charge a battery to full. I had to have mine recharged at the dealership (free of charge). They had it on a 2 amp for 5 hours and the battery still only hit 65%. Charged the rest with my battery tender at the house overnight.

I found that HD batteries are the hardest to charge on that weekened. Ate up alot of good riding time.

Also, you wont get a HD to pop start in first gear. The rear tire will lock up and you will just leave a skid mark. I recommend 2nd or 3rd gear.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, mine died last week. "ON" position for over 24 hours will do that! Whoops! Not even jump starting it with the jeep running would work. Well, I could only get lights and a click with that method. At the shop it read only 5 volts...it was toast. I'm back in business with a replacement, though.

Teek

Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Jor3lBR
Cruiser

bump for new topic edited! See post #1!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the battery can show 13 volts but not have enough amperage to crank the bike. Take it out and take it to someone with a load tester to know for sure but I would bet that you are ready for a new battery.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 AM
speedydave
Stage IV

I second what Jerry said. Just because an old battery will take a charge doesn't mean it will hold the charge. Having the battery load tested will tell you if the battery is still good or not.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Jor3lBR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tailbreaker
Yes, the battery can show 13 volts but not have enough amperage to crank the bike. Take it out and take it to someone with a load tester to know for sure but I would bet that you are ready for a new battery.
Can do! Thanks mate!

Quick Reply: Battery Alternative to Negative and starting the bike with dead bat