Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for a long ride.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:45 PM
jlandis874
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing for a long ride.

At the end of September i'm taking my 08 883C from Dayton, OH to the Smokey Mountains. 5 days of riding. I've got the sundowner seat, already have the shocks set to where i need them. Using a detachable windshield. I'm riding with 4 other bikes, 2 Lowriders, a Street Glide, and an Ultra Classic. No doubt I'll have the least comfortable bike out of the 5. But I also have the best bike for the backroads down there.

Is there anything I can do to make the trip more comfortable?? Any thing I need to look out for because of running an 883 pretty hard for 5 days straight? I know a Sportster isn't made specificaly for touring, but it can and has been done for a long time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've read other posts from guys who tour on thier 883 so I'm hoping they can help out. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:23 PM
crazyiven
Advanced

The amount of time you ride will depend on your back end. Just finished a trip last week of 1400 + miles round trip with 3 days in between. All I did was stop for fuel, took about 12 hr each way. Can say the 2 things that helped me was, highway pegs and a mod i did to my seat. With the highway pegs on my crash bar it gives you options for you feet witch will take pressure off some parts of your rear. And the seat, i moded it to fit my butt and then put some memory foam in it. Did wish I had a full windshield, bug shield don't cut it.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlandis874
At the end of September i'm taking my 08 883C from Dayton, OH to the Smokey Mountains. 5 days of riding. I've got the sundowner seat, already have the shocks set to where i need them. Using a detachable windshield. I'm riding with 4 other bikes, 2 Lowriders, a Street Glide, and an Ultra Classic. No doubt I'll have the least comfortable bike out of the 5. But I also have the best bike for the backroads down there.

Is there anything I can do to make the trip more comfortable?? Any thing I need to look out for because of running an 883 pretty hard for 5 days straight? I know a Sportster isn't made specificaly for touring, but it can and has been done for a long time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've read other posts from guys who tour on thier 883 so I'm hoping they can help out. Thanks.
Well, I toured extensively on my my 1985 Sporty and I do some touring on my 2008 1200R and I have a few suggestions.

The first thing that anyone in the IBA will tell you is find what makes you want to get off your bike and fix it. You can find more information here:

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Here's my suggestions:

Most importantly, ride YOUR ride, not theirs. Determine where you'll meet every few hours and get there on your own time. If you try riding with the other bikes, it'll only tire all five of you out faster.

HYDRATION. I cannot stress this enough. The basic set up is a CamelBak that you fill up at every gas station. I am building a set up to mount a 2 gallon insulated water jug to my bike and run the drinking tube up to me. The arrangement on this page is highly recommended. http://www.fjr1300.info/mods/waterbottle.html Remember, you should be peeing on a fairly regular basis.

Stretching exercises while riding greatly increase your daily range. I'm no yoga freak or anything like that, but I do stretch my back and shoulders every 50 miles or so and this somehow keeps me in the saddle longer.

Earplugs. Somewhere in the first tank of gas, the sound of wind starts to suck. In the 5th tank of gas, it bothers me enough that I don't want to get back on the bike. So, I stick in some cheap foamies and it makes a world of difference. Some folks say they keep you from hearing the stuff around you, but I haven't noticed that. I find that I hear other vehicles better without the wind noise.

Tank bag with your goodies. Toss some beef jerky, granola bars, hard candy, cigarettes or titty magazines in the tank bag. If you keep yourself fed, you'll ride longer and stay better focused.

If it's going to be hot, cover up. You will dehydrate and burn out much faster with the wind whipping over your skin. When it tops 90 degrees outside, the only piece of me that isn't covered is my neck - and at 100 degrees, I cover that with a ZUB. Also, I'm a BIG fan of UnderArmor (and the like) long sleeve shirts and long pants under my riding gear. After an hour or so, they get good and wet and they cool me down quite effectively as I ride. I feel silly when I'm eating lunch and I'll usually get the chills if I sit near an air vent, but that's a small price to pay. You might want to check out what Mario is selling at http://www.ldcomfort.com/

Smooth out your contact patch with the bike. Anything that is between you and the bike needs to be smooth. Seams, wallets, cell phones, snuff cans or whatever you carry in your back pocket will act just like a pebble in your boot and just create a pressure point that will bug the hell out of you.

Good luck and be safe out there.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:35 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

One thing I found useful but seldom mentioned is the little clips for your pant legs fasten to your shoe laces, or stirrups for pant legs. This way, your pant legs won't flap around and "Crawl" up your legs at highway speed, letting insects or what not get in, especially with forward control or highway pegs.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:21 AM
riverman
Cruiser

Comments by Bacon Greese are excellent. I think I will jot those down. Otherwise the only thing I would add to what you have already done is set up some highway pegs or something. Sometimes, when I am by myself, I put my feet back on the passenger pegs. The ability to shift my feet around from time to time makes a big difference. I don't know that you will necessarily be on the most uncomfortable bike of the ones you mentioned. It all depends on how they have their bikes set up. I think what you are going to find, unless there is a crazyman with you, is that you will all settle into a pace that you can all live with. My last long ride in a group was to Sturgis with a Road King, a Gold wing, and a Valkrey, and there was no problem and no separation of the group.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:17 PM
BRKFLHX
Advanced

Just did 1300 miles from WI to CO. Bring ADVIL!!!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:11 PM
fire228
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy one of these asap!

http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_ca...n&skuId=505662

Its perfect size. I went to Sturgis from FL and this is all I took. Hold about 3 pair of pants, 4-5 shirts and a load of other things on the side and top pockets. All you need will fit in here and the best part is you can mount it on a rack behind the sissybar or you can mount it on the passenger seat (Which I did) and it acts as the perfect backrest! Really helps get comfortable on those long rides.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-17-2008, 07:15 PM
bharvey60
Cruiser

I second the GranTour Bag recommendation. Holds a ton of stuff and attaches/detaches very easily. Mine sits on the passenger seat and it makes for a very good backrest. One note, it's NOT waterproof, but comes with a waterproof cover. Make sure you use the cover if you're riding in moderate or heavier rain.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the highway pegs. I should have mentioned them, but I figgered you'd have them on the bike already.

And a big +1 on the luggage.

These are the bags I carry. Waterproof luggage is a HUGE asset to have.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/753036

http://www.rei.com/product/752612

I've been thinkin' about the Nelson Rigg's Survivor bags. They're pretty slick lookin' and the tie-down set up is pretty cool. I've heard that it's about the best tie-down system on the market.

I'm not too much into pain medication, but if that's what works, more power to you. I prefer to find out why I'm hurtin' and make adjustments so I don't hurt tomorrow. Plus, pain medication means I shouldn't enjoy some after - ride libations and I don't let anything interfere with my boozin'!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 AM
jlandis874
Cruiser

I alrready have a set of "Convertable" T-Bags for my sissy bar. I've used it once before and it makes an excellent back rest.