Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling the Sportster...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:37 PM
BlackCultureCool
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about selling the Sportster...

Hello Sportster fans. I'm thinking about selling the sporty, but not because I have to or because I don't like the bike. The real issue is that it's a little punishing on the road after about 60-80 miles, and I really like to hit the road. There are obviously ways to make the Sportster more touring friendly, but I think I'd rather get a Dyna or Softail. Problems with the ElectraGlides is too big (for me). I like the Fat Bob, Street Bob, Super Glide Custom, Lowrider and the new Cross Bones. The question is, does anyone have any reason not to get into a bigger bike for the purpose of being a little more long-haul friendly? Or are the "bigger" bikes going to have the same issues. I'm just looking for friendly input. And I'm not in any hurry to do anything.

here's my bike

Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A bigger one might suit you better then. I hate to say it, but after 3 Sporty's I think my next one will be something larger.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a more comfortable bike for long distances, get a touring bike. It doesn't have to be an Electra. I am looking at a Road King or a Street Glide for my 2nd bike, but keeping the Sportster.

Last edited by travroc; 08-13-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Sportsters are not the best for long trips. They can be set up to be comfortable but they will nev er match a big twin for touring comfort. And as good as it looks, I would have to say your seat may be suspect for a little bit of your discomfort also. I find if I am solo on a longer trip that setting the shocks to the softest setting helps considerably also. On other bikes I have had mini-apes and they help considerably, I have bars for the one I have now I am just saving money for new cables.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

I miss my 04 1200R sometimes.

But then I realize that I've just rode 100 miles non stop on my new Fat Bob

On the stock seat............

And that my back and my *** feel fine......

Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the same problem, I lOVED the Nightster but I just ride too much to be on that thing for too long. I got the Glide now and I am real happy with it, but I noticed a few things.
1) The glide offers way more comfort
2) The sporty was a lot more fun (when it comes to riding hard)
3) I seem to be staying out of trouble now not owning the sporty

I ride to cruise, not to race around and get tickets (in my teens that was cool) If I was going out to ride fast, I would have bought a rice rocket but I do it for the ride, the sights, and to explore new places. This is just me speaking for myself, the only person who can decide what bike is right for you is YOU. Everyone has an opinion and like everyone else mine changes to different degrees. Hell I rode a rigid for 2 years, one year with no seat, just sitting on the frame. I know now my body can't take it.

Also not to deter you from the sportster but it seems the comfort is bothering you. If you move up to a dyna I think you'll notice it's kinda like a sportster only bigger. Bigger may offer more comfort. Good luck which ever way you go.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCultureCool
Hello Sportster fans. I'm thinking about selling the sporty, but not because I have to or because I don't like the bike. The real issue is that it's a little punishing on the road after about 60-80 miles, and I really like to hit the road. There are obviously ways to make the Sportster more touring friendly, but I think I'd rather get a Dyna or Softail. Problems with the ElectraGlides is too big (for me). I like the Fat Bob, Street Bob, Super Glide Custom, Lowrider and the new Cross Bones. The question is, does anyone have any reason not to get into a bigger bike for the purpose of being a little more long-haul friendly? Or are the "bigger" bikes going to have the same issues. I'm just looking for friendly input. And I'm not in any hurry to do anything.

here's my bike
You might consider upgrading the suspension. It's a whole lot cheaper than a new bike... and if you buy another Harley, I suspect you'll wind up with another undersprung bike that won't be nearly as comfortable as it could be.

If you can wait a couple weeks, I'll let you know how my new 413 Progressives feel on my '08.

As for "punishing" on the road, I can see exactly where you're coming from. But, it's possible to pound some serious miles on a Sporty and it'll do very well, you just have to make a few adjustments here and there but that is true of any machine. Some simply require more than others...

**EDIT**

Looking at your bike, I think I see some of your issues - that skinny assed front tire and that seat would cause some griping on my part, too.

Last edited by Bacon_Grease; 08-13-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

Why sell it? Keep it and just buy a new one.

I am adding a second bike to my stable this weekend. It is bigger than the sporty with plenty of storage space. But I sure as hell will not get rid of my XL.

My XL is my short range troublemaker. No way I am getting rid of it. I know I'll regret it down the road.

So, when I get this second bike, the XL goes to the garage and I will finally put the new bars and cables on her that I've been sitting on all summer.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 PM
LoneRyder
Tourer

Used to **** and moan about the rough ride on the sporty...until I ripped off the OEM seat, tore it appart, re-carved the foam to fit my *** and then put it all back together. Now I regularly ride 5-600miles with no discomfort at all.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

the bigger bikes are definitely more long haul friendly. I'm leaning towards moving to a XB12X next fall, trading in the sporty, and eventually getting a dyna to get back into the family.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling the Sportster...