Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling the Sportster...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why a sportbike? you think they're gonna be more comfy?

If you are so uncomfortable, why not look at a softail or a dyna?

rob

Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear your pain. Sportsters are great bikes but not the best for all day cruising. If you're looking for true comfort, I would not even consider a Dyna or Softail. Comfort in Harley's comes in the way of a touring bike; and yep Im aware many folks are comfortable on their Dyna's and Softails...not trying to pick a fight... Road King and Street Glide would fit you well. Many of Dyna's and some of the softails have the same similar crap on them as the Sportster...the touring bikes, especially the '09's are a different breed when it comes to comfort...Good luck.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:39 PM
robxl1200c
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on a Mustang seat, now the wife and I go for hours - no problems.

Wouldn't want to go across Canada though :-)

Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

I'd go with a Road King. Great styling and a great ride. My dad has a Road King and it is smoooth. Ain't gonna beat me in a drag race though!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WarriorHD
I hear your pain. Sportsters are great bikes but not the best for all day cruising. If you're looking for true comfort, I would not even consider a Dyna or Softail. Comfort in Harley's comes in the way of a touring bike; and yep Im aware many folks are comfortable on their Dyna's and Softails...not trying to pick a fight... Road King and Street Glide would fit you well. Many of Dyna's and some of the softails have the same similar crap on them as the Sportster...the touring bikes, especially the '09's are a different breed when it comes to comfort...Good luck.
And my Goldwing is a hundred times more comfortable than the Road King and Street Glide - and it'll whip my Sportster in any race.

But, if that ain't what the man wants, there ain't no purpose is tellin' him he should get one....

Just a thought.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 AM
BlackCultureCool
2nd Gear

As I figured, those were all great comments and ideas. Thanks to all of you for chiming into this thread. Several of you guessed correctly regarding the seat issue; it's an HD Stripper Seat, and ironically, instead of being like a tit-bar, it's like a gay-bar because it really does wear your *** out. The progressives and a fatter front tire would also be better for sure. Not too sure about a different handlebar - I actually like the stock bar on the XL Custom for comfort. I've also ridden a sportster with apes, and another with the bars that are similar to stock, but they rise up a little more - can't remember the name/style. At any rate, I do like the bars, or at least the comfort of them.

Shoot. In a perfect world, I would keep the Sportster and find another bike like what I had mentioned, or even a Street Glide. However, seeing how this is an imperfect world (the foundation of my house proves that), I really can only have one bike at a time. But hey, I welcome anyone over to convince my wife otherwise!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 AM
riverman
Cruiser

I have been where you are. I put a big ol fat mustang seat on my sporter and the difference in the comfort level was huge. I, and my wife on the back, could ride all day and feel fine afterward. Nonetheless, about 2 months ago I sold the sport and bought a superglide. The superglide does in fact glide on the highway. There is a bunch of difference. I do miss the sport however; especially around town. I have never owned a metric, but for my money you can't beat the sport around town and in traffic. It is quick and easy to use. My wife suggested that I keep the sport for short hauls and I kinda wish I had. But, what you give up in ease of use by going to a glide you more than gain in comfort on long hauls. If you regularly take the long cruses but still use the bike around town, I think a dyna is the way to go.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:49 PM
nolafishr
Banned

I have a 2001 Sporty 1200 for around town fun and just bought a 08 EGC for the Highway and it is comfortable. The Sportsters are not really made for long rides. I would keep it and add the second Bike, The choice is yours. I am redoing My Sporty into a Custom Bobber.

2008 Electra Glide Classic - Vivid Black
2001 Sportster 1200 - Lil Red

Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've put 550 miles on the Sportster in the last two days. Yes, it's possible...yes, it can be done with relative comfort...yes, it can also be hard to do sometimes; I hit some bumps that I almost thought I wish I had a Softail. The damn battery cover was hanging when I got gas today just north of the Ok/TX state line. Fortunately, I have an '07, so I didn't lose it (apparent redesigned hinge helps keep it on the bike). I use my Sporty for just about everything from commuting, just riding around killing time, longer trips, and even grocery shopping. City streets, superslab, back roads, parking garages, whatever. It fits me for my needs. YMMV and if it does, by all means get another bike that DOES fit your own personal needs and desires.

Teek