Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling the Sportster...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:20 AM
LoneRyder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh please, wash your panties...garsh.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I worked on my Sportster for a while and finally got to where I feel like I am in a recliner... Well a recliner made of wood... but a recliner non-the-less... The suspension is still hard but thats ok...

Got the X-Bones and it feel like I am riding on a cloud in comparison... Still find myself riding the Sportster as much as I do the Bones...

A glunten for punishment I guess... :-)

I will add this comment... for the most part and most people... no matter what you get... you are still gonna have to make adjustments to the bike to fit you, where you are most comfortable... I like the Bones a lot... but still gonna have to make some adjustments to it... I don't believe there is such a thing as one bike to fit all... long arms, short arms... short upper body, longer upper body... long legs, short legs... Can't do anything with the body so the only other thing we can do is adjust the bike to it...

Charlie D.

Last edited by dbleagle; 08-16-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BlackCultureCool, Softail. Dyna will be better than the Sporty, especially the Super Glide. My pick is Softail. I'm not sure which of those you mentioned is the most comfortable. Comfort is subjective anyway, but if you like to hit the road, whatever you get, set it up to hit the road, for the way you want to hit it. My "Bagster" works just fine for what I do with it, and since I'm a little guy, it fits. I have no plans to get rid of it. But for an additional bike someday, I'm leaning toward the Softail family. Either a Deluxe or a lowered Fatboy. That leaning may change as time goes on and I get closer to another bike, but currently, that's where I am.

Teek

Old 08-14-2008, 06:57 AM
txoval
Road Captain

Damn, I've been away for awhile and everyone is selling or trading in their Sportster...jk

I am also guilty of looking at trading in/selling my bike and getting a Road King. If you want to choose between a Dyna and a Softtail I'd get a Softtail. The Fatboy, Deluxe, and Heritage all look good with a windshield.

I almost made a deal yesterday to get the Road King, but decided to wait until the winter in hope of a better deal

Good luck with whatever you decide

Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been sorry ever since I got rid of my 2003 883r,it had a 1200 kit,Progressive suspension front and back,sweet bike,I let my friend talk me out of it when I got my Glide.Have had other bikes with the Glide over the years but have not been happy untill I got my 07 Nightster about a month ago,only had 300 miles on it,got 1800 now and lovin it.It's hard to find a bike as good as the eg for just about any use ,but the Sport is a good travlin,go to work,foolin around bike with a few mods.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I was used to the ride on my Sportster and didn't find it all that bad but after I got the Street Bob it was almost like night and day. It never bottoms out anymore and I don't have to cringe everytime I see a bump in the road up ahead, I just ride over it with no problem.
A Dyna is a good choice and it does remind me of a Sporty on steroids which is why I love it.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those bars and your seat are definitely a problem. The bigger bikes are way more comfortable no doubt, but IMHO, if this is your first Harley, I'd keep it. I've heard too many sob stories about people selling their first bike.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
hogsport
Road Master

I know what you mean. I rode a WG for a couple hundred miles last winter and thought - WOW what a great ride. Then followed some examples of upgrading the sporty's suspension from this forum. Now my sporty is no WG but I don't have to wear a mouthpiece anymore to keep me from knocking myself out with my lower jaw when going over a bridge joint. I like the nimble control of the lighter bike.

before trading I would suggest:
1. Spend $300 and a couple hours changing out the frnt & rear suspension to Progressive
2. Spend $150 Renting a RK & Dyna for a day each.
Then get what makes you happy. Ride on.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
A Dyna is a good choice and it does remind me of a Sporty on steroids which is why I love it.
Thats my take on the Dyna's too!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Steve_in_FL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking of dumping my '08 Sporty for the same reason. It is damned uncomfortable if ridden for over 30 minutes. I got the Sundowner seat, and it helped my wife riding as passenger, but it didn't help me a bit. Now i am hearing some say that with the newer Sporty's you can't get a seat that will move you back enought to make a real difference. I am damned near ready to get a rice burner!

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling the Sportster...