Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Joolander
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Nightster

Hi all. I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle for some time, and always preferred American cruiser style bikes over any other kind. I saw a Nightster the other day and was wondering if it was a good bike to start on, but also if its a good bike to keep in the long run. I've heard some say that its a women's bike, but then a lot of people say my Mustang gt is a women's car

Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
BIGschwerm
Tourer

i love mine so far 09 nightster im 6ft 1" and 220lbs also ive been riding for 16 years now and have had 20 plus bikes from street bikes to crotch rockets (this is my first harley) and im very pleased with it. Jus my 2 cents....

Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could give you the whole "Sportster ain't a girl's bike speech", but I'll just give you the highlights:

They are the quickest stock "traditional" Harleys made... no ifs ands or buts... stock vs. stock, or given comparable mods, they will eat any of the big twins on the twisties and straight line...

Other than maybe a few of the Dynas, they are the only real riders bike in the traditional Harley linup.

The only, only reason to get a Big Twin over a sportster IMHO is:

1. You are doing 50%+ riding 2 up

2. You put more than 50% of your miles on the bike doing multi-day long distance riding.

3. You are over 65 years of age.

Allot of HD guys fixate on displacement... size is a big deal in the HD world... ask Freud about that. My Harley is 1250cc (76ci), and putting out 160hp and 120 ft ilbs of torque, when I bought it it only put out 118... on the dyno, but hey... the 96ci stock puts out 70hp it it's lucky... 1200cc sportster, almost the same, weights allot less = zooom! Unless you really want to slow down and see the country... slowly, there is little reason for a 750ilb, 65hp bike...

For around town, flat track, drag racing, whatever your cup-o-tea is, the sportster will perform better... the only thing it doesn't do as well is haul fat-a$$ long distances comfortably... IMHO sportsters rule.

Last edited by Herr Monk; 08-11-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Joolander
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Herr Monk

For around town, flat track, drag racing, whatever your cup-o-tea is, the sportster will perform better... the only thing it doesn't do as well is haul fat-a$$ long distances comfortably... IMHO sportsters rule.
well thats good..... i could never be described as a fat@$$ lol

and im not saying its a girl bike. I'm saying that i could care less if people think it is

Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

My Nightster is my first bike, and I've been riding it every day since I got it. I just started riding 3 months ago and put about 3500 miles on it so far. So, I would say it was a perfect beginning bike for me. Might not be for you, just go sit on one and see if you feel comfortable. Take a safety course first if you haven't ridden before. Also, I have no plans to trade this bike in anytime soon, if ever. I love riding so much, it's now my daily driver. You should be perfectly happy to keep this bike for the long run. Of course it's a woman's bike! All the women seem to love mine. Get a lot of female attention every where I go. This is not a bad thing.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:36 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My nightster was my first Harley too. The reason I got it was because it looked like the retro bikes of the 60s, bobber, etc. Plus it was black. I'm not a huge fan of chrome, although some chrome bikes DO look awesome. I would recommend this bike to anyone. I've been to alot of bike nights, and not to toot my own horn, but my bike gets more attention than most on any given night...maybe because its a newer model...

Just an fyi...the nightster is the hottest selling bike right now for HD, expecially around my neck of the woods...some might argue thats its cheap, but if that won't hold up because there are a couple of bikes cheaper than the nightster that don't sell like it does. Plus, the damn thing is fun to ride!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:50 AM
1200efi
Tourer

Hey HERR MONK, I'm going to be 67 soon, have had 24 bikes, been riding 45 years, own a 08 1200C with stuff, this is my last bike, I ride long and I ride it hard, it's all in the person who is doing the riding. It's Sportsters for me, sore a$$ or not. I would not own a geezer glide or a fagger bagger, and I wear a$$less chaps and fingerless gloves. I'm a site to see. (This is not to start a war here, just in reply to "over 65 years of age"). Ride safe,enjoy life, do YOUR thing.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 AM
googs
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joolander
I've heard some say that its a women's bike
You get cooties from riding them too.

Sportsters are very easy to ride, easier than the "beginner" bike I've been riding.

You might want to look into taking an MSF course. Not only will they teach you the ins and outs of riding, but you'll save some on your insurance and save some trouble with getting your MC liscense (dunno if this is the case in all states). Harley offers the Rider's Edge, but the local tech school also does one here for about 1/3 the price.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Slaps
Road Master

If anyone where to tell me my bike was a girls bike I'd just laugh. It is my first bike ever and so far it is great. I tell ya it takes off a lot faster then I thought a cruiser would. I bought it because I wanted a smaller bike to start with and because it was affordable. But I tell you it was the first bike that caught my eye when I walked into the dealership. The thing looks awesome.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a Boss Hoss and really like my Nightster alot better,it isn't as fast but alot more easy to handle,good for backroads even the dirt.I still have my 05 Electra Glide for packing the wife around and overnighters,I would recomend the Nightster to anyone,with a few changes,Mustang wide vintage seat,forward controls,crash bar with freeway pegs,detach windshield and small w/s bags,detach fender rack and of course throw over saddle bags,the bike is very versatle and can be stripped down in no time.

Quick Reply: Nightster