Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's try this again... Nightsters and Lugging Your Crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:31 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Let's try this again... Nightsters and Lugging Your Crap

I have searched the forums (and google) for photos of Nightsters with saddlebags, fork bags, luggage racks, etc. and most links are dead or were a part of the forums before the recent revamp.

I really like the bobber look of the bike; however, I'm a chick and I need to stow some crap in something other than piling everything into a backpack or stuffing my jacket full of stuff whenever I go out on the bike.

So my request is does anyone have any bags/storage of any kind that look appropriate on a Nightster? If so, can you please share photos and any modifications necessary to mount them (rear turn signal or license plate relocation)? And for those who have the magnetic kind, where exactly do they mount? I'm not so sure I am interested in scratching my paint, especially when I had the dealer swap fuel tanks after I noticed a 2" scratch on my fuel tank after it was brought home (hmm!!!). And don't the throwover bags pose a scratching issue as well as the potential of getting caught up on something?

I really appreciate the input.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-10-2008, 03:19 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior

I have but most links are dead. Thanks for posting the link!

I should note that someone in that thread mentioned they purchased bags off that Viking site for $26 and I assume they are the studded sissy bar bags and mounted as "saddlebags" instead but how does one even do that?

Last edited by SuburbanMom; 08-10-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:38 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Lick's makes a very nice solo bag that from the bikes I've seen it on, would not look out of place at all on a N. I have the solo rack myself, and I think it kind of complements the retro theme of the bike. If it wasn't such a PITA to get it out of the garage I'd go snap a pic real quick, but next time it's out I'll grab one and post it up.....

Old 08-10-2008, 03:46 PM
plysat
Tourer

I guess it comes down to how concerned about looks you are, and how much $$ you want to spend. Throwover bags look OK and are relatively cheap. There are felt fender protector thingies available that'll mitigate the scratching. The licks solo bag (http://www.lickscycles.com) is a little spendy and not real big, but looks great. I have that, plus I got a bikers friend (http://www.bikersfriend.com) bag. They hold a lot of stuff, and pop on and off real quick. They're not terrible looking (IMHO, others will disagree ) But they're kinda pricey.

My bike is my daily driver though, So I need to be able to carry some groceries and other random stuff. Here's a couple pics...

On (commuter mode):

Off (bugs in teeth mode):

Old 08-10-2008, 04:00 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You're in luck. I'm goin for a ride with some buds, so I'll grab a pic of the luggage rack for ya.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:28 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice lookin VStar ply

Old 08-10-2008, 05:50 PM
plysat
Tourer

Originally Posted by schumacher
Nice lookin VStar ply
I give up, You bag haterz are right! I've just made some modifications to my bike, hopefully this is more appealing to you!:

Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I bet that's pretty good on gas

Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by plysat
I guess it comes down to how concerned about looks you are, and how much $$ you want to spend. Throwover bags look OK and are relatively cheap. There are felt fender protector thingies available that'll mitigate the scratching. The licks solo bag (http://www.lickscycles.com) is a little spendy and not real big, but looks great. I have that, plus I got a bikers friend (http://www.bikersfriend.com) bag. They hold a lot of stuff, and pop on and off real quick. They're not terrible looking (IMHO, others will disagree ) But they're kinda pricey.
Thanks for the reply and photos. The solo bag looks great! I'm assuming the solo bag is the Licks Solo Bag-2004 to 2008-Rubber Mount-XL's? How did you mount it? Does it come with mounting hardware? Also, can you put two solo bags on the nightster (one on either side or do the pipes come too close?)?

Sorry if I sound like a dumbass... I haven't been on my bike more than 2 times down the street (taking the safety course this next weekend) but want to have the things I need as soon as I can get them.

203Cree - Thanks... can't wait to see your photos! Enjoy your ride!

Quick Reply: Let's try this again... Nightsters and Lugging Your Crap