Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's try this again... Nightsters and Lugging Your Crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:06 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

plysat, I meant to ask where one can purchase that traffic eliminator mod? I would like to modify all of our vehicles with that... maybe even my daughter's motor scooter! Vroom vroom!! Meep meep!! Bang bang!!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:10 PM
plysat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuburbanMom
Thanks for the reply and photos. The solo bag looks great! I'm assuming the solo bag is the Licks Solo Bag-2004 to 2008-Rubber Mount-XL's? How did you mount it? Does it come with mounting hardware? Also, can you put two solo bags on the nightster (one on either side or do the pipes come too close?)?

Sorry if I sound like a dumbass... I haven't been on my bike more than 2 times down the street (taking the safety course this next weekend) but want to have the things I need as soon as I can get them.

203Cree - Thanks... can't wait to see your photos! Enjoy your ride!
That's the one... It's pretty EZ to mount: 1 leather belt/strap in the middle and 2 velcro straps on either end. Some people replace 'em with long zip ties though. They all just wrap around the frame. You gotta take off the seat and battery cover to put it on, they say to loosen the upper shock bolt, but you don't really need to. They only make it for one side, but it's a great, well made bag.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:18 PM
plysat
Tourer

plysat, I meant to ask where one can purchase that traffic eliminator mod? I would like to modify all of our vehicles with that... maybe even my daughter's motor scooter! Vroom vroom!! Meep meep!! Bang bang!!
You have to make it yourself! It's not DOT/EPA approved.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post nightster bags

Hey Plysat,

Are those Progressive shocks ? maybe the 412's ?

Thanks, WD

Old 08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Forgive the quality, battery on my digi went dead, had to use my phone.....

Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 PM
WillieD
Cruiser

I did what Plysat did. Having a Nightster I Purchased the Blk Detachable Solo Rack (Part#53512-07 for $159.95, part#53494-04 for chrome). This requires a Docking Kit, very discrete but an additional $35.00. I purchased the HD Roll Bag (Universal Luggage Rack Bag part#98868-98,$89.95). I pretty much leave the roll bag attached to the rack and remove the whole thing when not needed. I also use a $20.00 back pack from Wally World. I like Plysat's Roll Bag as it is larger. Be careful, some roll bags require a sissy bar for attachment. The back pack will fatigue you on long trips. The dealership will be glad to help you with this for a nominal fee......That’s a joke! Good luck hopes this helps.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a black luggage rack from Motherwell, but not a detachable one because at the time I didn't have the extra money those cost. It's small but allows me to strap on a nice "roll bag" (kind of looks like the one plysat has), that hubby bought for his bike before he traded it in. I also have throwover saddlebags (that hubby made), that I keep on permanently because I too need more room that what fits in my pocket, especially when I ride the bike to work. I won't do a napsack on a motorcycle. What I also find very handy is tank bags. Just be careful putting them on and off to avoide possible scratching. But we have a couple different sizes. One expands to hold quite a bit. And I can still see the speedo with that on!. Yeah, the Nightster looks best "naked", but you have to make your bike functional for whatever your own individual needs. (I also have a detachable windshield).

Old 08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses everyone. I already whipped out the plastic and purchased a Lick's solo bag tonight (thanks plysat!) but I may consider the detachable black luggage rack and roll bag for the future. Right now we won't be taking any long road trips so I think the solo bag will suffice until I'm licensed and comfortable on the bike.

I knew the options for storage on this model Sportster were few but it really helps to see the bags on the bike. I didn't like the larger bags as they take away from that bobber look.

Hey Perch, got a photo of a tank bag that you can post? It probably won't be "my thing" but I'd like to see what it looks like. Can't really polish out scratches without that clear coat.

Last edited by SuburbanMom; 08-10-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: fingers typing too fast.... asfdaf;jyhlkafs;as
Old 08-10-2008, 11:36 PM
plysat
Tourer

Originally Posted by Willie D
Hey Plysat,

Are those Progressive shocks ? maybe the 412's ?

Thanks, WD
They're the 440's. More $$ than the 412's, but I like not needing a wrench to adjust 'em, and they look great. Ride is great. . . well, as great as it can be with 11" shocks.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 PM
plysat
Tourer

Thanks for the responses everyone. I already whipped out the plastic and purchased a Lick's solo bag tonight (thanks plysat!) . . .
Cool, you're gonna like it. Hope ya don't have to wait as long as I did. They were fairly new and back ordered when I got mine...

Quick Reply: Let's try this again... Nightsters and Lugging Your Crap