Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Few Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Winberry Farms
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A Few Newbie Questions

So if I install the slip ons myself I would mostly likley have to retune the motor and get a high flow air cleaner.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

Not really a retune per say. If you get a free flowing exhaust the bottleneck will be at the air cleaner, if you replace that you'll likely
run into a lean running condition that would require a rejet of the carb. Its all pretty straight forward to do.
if you do all this ask questions, we're all glad to help.
All of it can be done at home by a entry level wrench.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:57 PM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Winberry Farms

So if I install the slip ons myself I would mostly likley have to retune the motor and get a high flow air cleaner.

Thanks for all the help.
As ecvjohn said (air cleaner will become the bottleneck) - keep the questions coming...

If you install the slipons only (which is an option), you can likely get away without a rejet until (if) you install a higher flow air cleaner later. If the bike needs a carb adjustment, it'll be pretty evident (carb "farts", stumbles, plugs look overly sooty or overly fried...). But again, with just slipons (and no other mods) you'll likely be okay with no major tuning (maybe an idle mixture screw adjustment, and turning it out a half turn or so may do the trick). Personally, on my '05 883 I didn't need to rejet until I installed my S&S air cleaner. Prior to that I ran about 500 miles or so on just my slipons with no rejet. I went that route (slipons first, a/c and rejet later) so I could get the sound (ended up with a little better low/mid range torque as well) ASAP - lol. The a/c and rejet completed Stage 1 and I was real happy at that point. Now, of course, will come the 1200 (maybe 1430?!) conversion, head porting, cams, carb, ignition... It's never gonna end!
Hope this helps!

Old 03-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Winberry Farms
Tourer

Just an update....I went with Cycle Shack full pipes (no slip on) and I am retuning the motor. I got a great deal on them from a local H-D shop (not dealer). They said all my stock heat shield would fit right up to these pipes. I will get a pic when I get her bak this week.

I really appreciate all the help. Thanks Again !

Old 03-20-2006, 10:29 PM
fredssport
3rd Gear

The linkage will have a little play but not much. As for accessories try either J&P Cycles or Fog Hollow. Both catalogues have great products for all bikes and are pretty reasonable. If you know what your looking for try ebay on the internet.