Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twisty turnies and leaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
DrQ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twisty turnies and leaning

I'm just a noooobie-been riding for a bout a month-but the curves are the best part. I gotta admit I enter them pretty slow but rolling on the the throttle&nbsp\\; durring the curve makes me feel stable. But what the heck, being safe keeps you alive.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:14 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't beat yourself up, Perch. Riding by yourself or with one partner is always better for practice. Group riding in twisties is really not the best way. Sticking to your lane won\\;t give youa chance to learn how to pick the right line in turns & chicanes (cont'd)

Old 07-16-2008, 04:17 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

The MSF Advanced course is the same as the Beginner, but with your bike. Same drills, same "range." I wasn't kidding when I suggested a track day. That's how sportbike riders improve. Now many tracks have cruiser/Harley days. The instructors there will teach you higher-speed handling/safety. Cost is similar to an MSF course. You have done a lot of riding. I'm sure you're better than you admit.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
kelton3
Tourer

Careful braking in turns... I learned the hard way. If I have to, I'll slightly tap the back brake (ever so slightly), I'm much better off leaning more without braking. When I did brake in a turn, I couldn't believe how fast the bike stood up straight, almost threw me highside, and nearly hit a car in the opposite direction, luckily the driver came to a screeching halt.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Handycam
Tourer

MSF class says NEVER brake in a turn. Ever. Only before it.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

last few time I have been in curves, not really hitting the speed limit, maybe sometimes just barley over it. It felt like my back tire was going to slide out. It would jerk alittle, then I would ease up off the throttle and it would be fine. I know I need to get a back tire, but I am only starting to get in the yellow on the tread gauge.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Handycam

That is true for beginners which is why they teach you that in MSF. But trail braking can save your life. It is worth practicing when you feel you are up to it and your skills are sharper. I trail brake with a slight bit of rear brake quite often. The bike does not stand up and high side me - it just tightens up the corner for me. Works great. Remember, you are not full on stomping the brakes, you are trail braking.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 AM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

Perch, I was so there just a few months ago.&nbsp\\; Then the light came on when it came to countersteering.&nbsp\\; At first I literally TOLD myself to countersteer, now I just do it.&nbsp\\; I do slow some before entering into a tight blind corner, then roll on the throttle at the apex of the corner.&nbsp\\; Something else I do, if there is traffic in front of us, or other bikes... I watch the traffic ahead or watch 4 or so bikes ahead. That helps a lot.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:40 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

ORIGINAL: Handycam

That is true for beginners which is why they teach you that in MSF. But trail braking can save your life. It is worth practicing when you feel you are up to it and your skills are sharper. I trail brake with a slight bit of rear brake quite often. The bike does not stand up and high side me - it just tightens up the corner for me. Works great. Remember, you are not full on stomping the brakes, you are trail braking.
The threshold is close on mid-turn trail braking. I do it, too, but throttle steering is far safer as it doesn't alter the suspension load. You need to be higher in the powerband than most HD riders utilize to get the full potential of throttle steering. Ask any sportbike rider about it.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 AM
2kanzam
Tourer

ORIGINAL: beendad

Best advice I ever got regarding turning was to always look "ahead of" or "through" the turn. If you are concentrated on what is directly in front of your wheel in a turn, you will either short yourself, drifting into the other lane or you will panic and over compensate towards the side you are turning into. Looking through the turn allows you to see your final destination and your bike will cooperate with your body in getting you there!
&nbsp\\;
+1.....Been trying to post this since yesterday, surprised it took so long for someone to mention it!?&nbsp\\; Looking through the turn will help you get the most out of your lean!

Quick Reply: Twisty turnies and leaning