Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twisty turnies and leaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Twisty turnies and leaning

But if you visualize the countersteer, the bike will do the rest. From a technical standpoint, countersteering is safer than simply leaning, because when you are countersteering, it is easier to do minor corrections. If you really are serious about conquering this, practice at high-speed, not slow like MSF. See if your local track as a cruiser/Harley day. Many do. Worth every penny!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing, when pushing on your bars, pull on the opposite side i.e. turning right-push right and pull with the left, it will help you lean a little easier. Don't worry about your tires, I scrape pegs all the time on my stock height&nbsp\\;'92 with no feelers.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM
HarleyBerri
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also remember the sporty feels like it wants to lean more than other bikes because it is so top-heavy. I was just having this conversation with my roommate because I took an exit ramp yesterday that is supposed to go 25 and I wanted to go 20 but I had a line of cars behind me. I find that I am dragging my back break more lately on the turns. I do concentrate on the counter steering, but sometimes I overthink it.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the input. THat's what makes this forum so great. One thing I should mention is that I do better when it is just hubby and me, and don't have to worry about staying in "my" lane, as I do when we are group riding (we are in a motorcycle club together). BUt even with just hubby, I need to do better than I am. I will check out all the links different people supplied here. I love riding and want to get better and better. Also - does anyone have experience with the more advanced MSF course? Do you think that would help me? Or am I better off just practicing, practicing, practicing?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 PM
plysat
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Perch
Also - does anyone have experience with the more advanced MSF course? Do you think that would help me? Or am I better off just practicing, practicing, practicing?
It'd help, but practicing is the best way. Take your time, and don't try to go faster than you're comfortable... *especially* on blind corners. There's a couple "Proficient Motorcycling" books by David Hough that are awesome, really good easy to understand info. You'll know you've got it down when the sounds of parts scraping doesn't freak you out! On an N, you don't need to go too far over to hear that sound...

Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM
beendad
Road Warrior

Best advice I ever got regarding turning was to always look "ahead of" or "through" the turn. If you are concentrated on what is directly in front of your wheel in a turn, you will either short yourself, drifting into the other lane or you will panic and over compensate towards the side you are turning into. Looking through the turn allows you to see your final destination and your bike will cooperate with your body in getting you there!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Handycam
Tourer

Also, I have found it useful to lower the throttle a bit before the curve and then give it some throttle in the curve, which pulls you out of the curve. The problem a lot of people have, especially it seems most cagers, it to brake entering a curve. The curve itself bleeds off some speed, so then youre going too slow and its tough to keep the lean. So if you practice entering the turn at speed (the proper speed for the severity of the curve) and then give it some gas, physics will do the rest. FWIW, this works with cars, too.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
googs
Tourer

Just started riding and had the same issue. The solution was my dad telling me to keep up with him.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
googs
Tourer

What he said basically made me realize we were both under the same limits since we were both on motorcycles.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:23 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just feeling disgusted with myself. Here I am in my 4th season of riding and I seem all tensed up over these twisting roads,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;getting worse instead of better.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;In thinking about it, I really do think my problem is worse when it is on roads that I can't see around the curve. If it is wide open curves, I am much better. It didn't help when last weekend we were on a blind curve and came around it to find a pickup truck in our lane!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; When we stopped, my husband was cursing and saying "did you see that "mf"?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; and I told him "THAT is why I get nervous and slow down on corners".&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; But I do also have a problem with lean. SO ... guess that just means I will have to ride more. Gee, such a sacrifice.

Quick Reply: Twisty turnies and leaning