Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Rear Shocks, Bumps, and Hemroids

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 PM
steveny914
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster Rear Shocks, Bumps, and Hemroids

I know there a ton of posts about the Nightster its rear shocks and how hard it can take bumps...but I wanted to do a little venting and get some opinions.&nbsp\\; I bought a used 07 and I am a new rider with a riders course and about 3 weeks of local riding under my belt.&nbsp\\; I am not a huge risk taker and really want to ride smart.&nbsp\\; With that said there have been times (not huge amount but enough) where I have hit bumps in the road or parking lots and thought OH ****....whether I was off balance for a sec, pushed on the throttle, or slightly panic'd...I was thinking geez I wasnt going that fast and the Nightster took it HARD.&nbsp\\; I am hoping experience will allow me to either avoid or react better in those situations and I am not looking for a Cadillac but is this really a nightster thing? I havent been on other sportsters.&nbsp\\; If the stock setting is really important I will double check them but I think its more of an 11" stock shock thing vs. the setting?

I also figured its worth trying out the $200 black progressives on the rear.&nbsp\\; I havent seen any documentation on shock settings....is it very straight forward (195 lbs, 5'9, just solo of course).....oh and no hemroids.

this forum ROCKS!
THANKS!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 PM
plysat
Tourer
Default RE: Nightster Rear Shocks, Bumps, and Hemroids

Totally worth swapping the shocks. Progressive 412's or, if yer willing to spend a bit more, 440's. They're a huge improvement. Having said that, you're right about the 11" deal, you're not gonna get a plush ride unless ya get longer shocks. But the progressives are definitely worth it. Also, if you're kinda handy, get a torque wrench w/ a torx bit set, grab a friend to do a little lifting, and do it yourself.(one side at a time!) It's easy. And *way* cheaper than a dealer/indy

Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Ive ridden a few other bikes and I think its a nightster thing.
Only 2 inches of of suspension travel in the rear.
Ive had my 07 for about 3 months and yes I bottom out
at least once a day if Im not dodging every bump and pothole.
This bike was designed first for appearence and comfort comes after that.
From what is said on this site the progressive shocks are the way to go.
Both front and rear.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Ride safe
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-10-2008, 06:49 AM
rdss
Road Captain

Try bumping your shock setting up once click at a time.&nbsp\\; I am at the 4th click and it rides like a tank but does not bottom at as much.&nbsp\\; I have also found that if you goose the throttle just a tad on a big bump you know is coming (a bridge spar or frost heave), it lifts the front of the bike allowing more suspension travel out of the front fork.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]Did ya really need to mention the Roids?......[sm=noooo.gif]&nbsp\\;Ya coulda just asked about the shocks/bumps part.....[:'(]

Old 07-10-2008, 07:52 AM
fishboy
Tourer

The MSF course will teach you leave the seat a bit when approaching a bump or pothole in the road. Rising off the seat putting your weight on the foot pegs allows you to use your legs as suspension as well.
&nbsp\\;
Greg

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Change shocks out to a real shock. Progressive shocks in any form are not a real shock period. Look what is inside of them then understand how they work for conformation. Experience in other brands, education, and riding them is much better than looking at an advertisement or public opinion from the uneducated or inexperienced. Walk into a local suspension race tuners shop and ask your questions for some real advice from those who do it for a living. If you need direction give a call toll free as we know most of them from the track. If you wish only to spend a few hundred on shocks just live with it and drive the thing.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
hogsport
Road Master

FastHarley,
are you just here trolling for business?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: fishboy

The MSF course will teach you leave the seat a bit when approaching a bump or pothole in the road. Rising off the seat putting your weight on the foot pegs allows you to use your legs as suspension as well.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Greg
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
That leaves out about half the Nightster owners on this forum. You can't do that with forward controls.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 PM
hogsolo
Intermediate

Yeah the ride is rough, and Ive gotten pretty good at getting up on the pegs.

Quick Reply: Nightster Rear Shocks, Bumps, and Hemroids