Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS System installed, love it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GPS System installed, love it!

Thats a nice setup.
&nbsp\\;
I looked at the cheaper ones but in the end went with the waterproof TomTom Rider 2, purpose built for motorcycles. I got it for $450 and it comes with a RAM type mount that securely locks the GPS in place and has power cables included so it was easy to wire it up to the battery.
&nbsp\\;
It also comes with a Bluetooth headset so you can actually hear its directions over the sound of the pipes. This was the main reason I bought it, my wife wanted to use it on her bike and wanted to hear the directions rather than have to keep looking at the screen.
&nbsp\\;
One other thing that I got to go with the GPS was some software called Tyre. It allows you to plan a route using google maps and then download it into the GPS. Most of the time, I don't want to follow the shortest or the fastest route when I'm on the bike so planning it on the PC lets me pick the roads I want to take.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The color is awesome, it looks kind of fade in the picture because the screen runs at 75% brightness when the power supply is unplugged, save energy, The LCD is nice and bright, good contrast. Yes, an anti-glare film is a must, it is cheap, no excuse not to get one. [\\]

ORIGINAL: Teek

Ok...that might be more practical than a camera! That would come in handy! And for only $170 bucks + the mounting clamp, that's GREAT!!!!! So how well does the color and contrast work? I can see where an anti-glare film would be necessary in bright sunlight. I'm thinkin'....I'm thinkin'....[8D] \\\\\\;I just might get one!
Teek

Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
HarleyBerri
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bf got the Zumo ($700) and installed a mount to his handlebars and wired a cigarette lighter into the battery so it would last on our longer trips.&nbsp\\; It uses Google Maps and Google World to download maps and it's got some sweet options for finding detours and re-setting routes in case of road problems.&nbsp\\; It is waterproof (although he hears on forums that the mount isn't) and may have been expensive but completely worth the cost.&nbsp\\; He was like a kid in a candy store when he got it and rarely leaves home without it ever since.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

128auto,How hard is it for a total idiot to hook it up to the bike and how is it done?
Does touch screen work with gloves?
Teek

Old 07-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes but remember, it isn't waterproof, you will not find anything cheaper than $500.
You can buy refurbished Garmin 2610's on ebay for $159.00 and they're water proof.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:24 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

I am a idiot and I can do it lol, gloves work fine, I am currently wearing HD summer gloves, not problem with touch screen. The only thing I have to do is make wire extension to power my GPS, once it is done, I will share it with you people.

ORIGINAL: Teek

128auto,How hard is it for a total idiot to hook it up to the bike and how is it done?
Does touch screen work with gloves?
Teek

Old 07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DAMN that is awesome!!. i love those kinds of devices and services. right now i have to plan everything out in mapquest.com and tape the printed page onto my gas tank hahaha.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

what's next? find a coffee shop&nbsp\\;

Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Teek
Road Warrior

Damn posting problems again!
I look forward to it...."GPS Motorcycle Connections for Dummies"
I'll be out of town for a couple of days till Wednesday night but I hope to at least lurk but maybe even post from another computer.
Teek

Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Teek
Road Warrior

Geez...trying to post and getting the "cannot display web page" error message. That sucks. Screw it, I gotta get on the road.
Teek

Quick Reply: GPS System installed, love it!