Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member + question about primary chain.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Kim Pettersson
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member + question about primary chain.

Hello!

Let me start with introduce myself,
I´m Kim from Sweden. 27 yo and riding a 2006 sportster custom 883. i bought it new in april 2007 since it has been in the shop for one year.
in sweden we have kilometer instead of miles, and so far i have ride my bike 400 km. i have done the rejetting by dyno jet, and have the SE air cleaner and vance and hines slipons.
found this great forum which has gived me a lot of inspiration!

I did the first service at 130 km. and since that no service done. i think it is time soon.&nbsp\\; anyway i have a feeling of that my primary chain is not properly adjusted, i think so because when i ride in very low speed on 1:st gear and idle, the bike is jumping back and forth, or let me say instead that the play in the transmission seems to be big,
so i read the manual and tried to adjust the chain, the adjustment is not a big deal but how do i measure the play on the chain?
i opened the small inspection cover, i took a screwdriver to lioft up and bend down the chain, i measured with a small steel straight. the play looked big to me but the problem is that i dontknow how hard i have to pull the chain?
the result after my adjustment was a winding noise from transmission, probably because i tightened it too much. i loosened it, and now im lost..... dont dare drive the bike now. probably has to go to dealer, but i am not sure that they know well about this either.

somebody to help?
Best regards Kim

Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: New member + question about primary chain.

Actually it sounds like you're probably right on the money.&nbsp\\; The procedure you went through with the measuring stick is the prescribed method.&nbsp\\; Personally, I can never feel like I get a good reading that way either.&nbsp\\; So, I adjust the primary until it starts to make the noise you mentioned.&nbsp\\; That indeed means it too tight.&nbsp\\; The just&nbsp\\;back&nbsp\\;it off a bit.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:23 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can fix it....Yes, it was too tight when you got the winding/whining&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;noise. You don't need to apply a great deal of pressure to measure the flex in the chain.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Try adjusting it again....If you hear it slapping, then it's to loose, and if you hear the whining noise again, then it's still too tight.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Now re-adjust it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I adjust mine by eyeballing the play, but you're doing just fine going along with the manual.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Just don't use so much force on the chain this time.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
Edit'd:&nbsp\\; Oh Yeah, forgot the "Welcome....So Welcome......And Uuuuu'mmmmm female, 27 YO, Swedish, and likes motorcycles, and will wrench on it......[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 AM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry I cannot help you with your question, but wanted to welcome you to the Forum.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Ric27
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes to what SportyPig Said. You can do this. You know how to adjust it, just come off it a little to lose the whine. Some of that jerking at very low speed is just the nature of the beast. Sportsters are a little high strung and will not idle along with the clutch full engaged. Below about 10 mph you will have to slip the clutch. this is not harmful to the clutch.

Readjust and ride brother. Send us some photos of riding in Sweden and of you and your buddies bikes on the road.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Kim Pettersson
Stage II

Hi again, and thanks for the welcome and quick response,

i will try to adjust it one more time, and with a little more by feeling. will return with result,

and by the way, Kim is a boys name in sweden....&nbsp\\; but i still like to wrench on it!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[&o]&nbsp\\; Oh well.&nbsp\\; [8D]

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

Welcome

Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
KingCarp99
Novice

I was in Goteburg &amp\\; Jonkoping last year in May...&nbsp\\; Beautiful country.&nbsp\\; Wish I had my bike over there.&nbsp\\; Welcome &amp\\; have fun on those country-side roads...

Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can eyeball it....you want the chain to move up approx 1/2 in. or one chain's thickness.&nbsp\\; In other words....stick yer finger under the chain....push up....the bottom should be right where the top just was.

Easy enough.

Quick Reply: New member + question about primary chain.