Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WINDSHIELD NOT ENOUGH

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WINDSHIELD NOT ENOUGH

ORIGINAL: JOEMYKE

I PUT A STANDARD WINSHIELD ON MY 07 SPORTSTER, "A QUICK RELEASE" AND HAVE TRIED MANY DIFFERENT POSITIONS BUT STILL HAVE TURBULENCE AROUND MY HEAD AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. I USE MY BIKE FOR HIGHWAY AND NEED TO GET RID OF THE WIND. ANY SUGGESTIONS. LOOKED FOR A FARING BUT CANT FIND ONE
This is supposed to be a good product to eliminate head buffeting. I've never used it, but if I had a sheild, I would try it. http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Nightster_Reaper
Tourer

if your trying to eliminate the wind only way is with a full face helmet. otherwise you will never get rid of all of it at high speeds.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:56 AM
HDXXX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter what you do besides a full face helmet your going to feel wind. Its all part of riding.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer

If theres a windshield infront of me I'm in my car because it just snowed....

I don't understand the whole windshield thing...The wind isn't that bad.&nbsp\\; Only problem I ever have is over 90ish my 3/4 or half helmet pulls my head back pretty hard.

To fix your problem...Consider a Full Face helmet.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

National Cycle has a plexi-fairing. It looks...um...effective! The link FloridaDrafter posted about the windshield edging would probably be your first and cheapest bet. But keep in mind with a full windshield most people are looking right&nbsp\\;over the edge any way, and it could be annoying to your line of sight. But if you don't think the edging would be annoying, then I would try that first.
Here's a link to the National Cycle fairing and yes, they DO make one to fit the '07 Sportster. I've actually entertained the idea in the past, but just coming back from a little 160 mi. round trip jaunt to the Oklahoma border and back with my LOW PROFILE quick detach shield (and some rain on the way back), I don't really need it. But I haven't totally ruled it out. If I can just get past that "bubble" look......
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N8513?mv_session_id=txYFHPyC&amp\\;search_model=hr %2d049"
Teek

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

Mostly the windshield is going to keep alot of the wind off your chest.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dood,

You don't want to put a fairing on a Sportster, for the love of God and all that is good an pure in the universe, you really don't want to do this. Besides, I'd wager it wouldn't solve the problem one bit. (That's why they still sell lowers for touring bikes, too. Though, their whole front end design is different and eliminates a lot of buffeting. The Road King has zero buffeting for most riders and it has no fairing. Same with the Heritage.)

Move your hand around when you're riding to feel where the buffeting air is coming from. If you are like 99.875% of the Sportster and Dyna riders out there, your problem is the air coming from below: it is coming under the lower/outer sides of the windshield, around the fork, up around the tank and behind the screen, and up into your face.

So how do you fix this? Get lowers. Not too many options for lowers, but here's what I did: https://www.hdforums.com/m_3442064/tm.htm It works perfectly. The lowers come off with the windshield with nothing left behind on the bike.

There are other solutions. Search this forum and the Dyna forum for ideas (Dynas and Sportsters have *very* similar front ends.) Some people just mount the windshield below the bottom triple-tree (not recommended because, you never know, you may need all that suspension travel) and say it works for them. Others take theri windshield to an auto glass place that will measure your eye/nose level on the bike and cut your windshield to size. I'd suggest trying the lowers first. My whole system cost me less than $30 and took an hour.

Also, a full-face helmet will do A LOT to alleviate any buffeting. You'd be surprised.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Dibbs
Advanced

I've got the quick disconnect sport windshield and I use it for highway use.&nbsp\\; Yeah it doesn't deflect all the wind but I can at least hear what's going on with the traffic around me and it's not beating my chest.&nbsp\\; I'm sure that wind is coming up from the bottom and the fork bag sounds like a good tip.&nbsp\\; But all in all, I'd rather have some wind in my face when I ride because that's half the fun!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 AM
prosigna
Stage IV

I just put a Memphis Shield on my 92 883H.&nbsp\\; I am not being bothered by the wind.&nbsp\\; Wind is nice.&nbsp\\; I am being beaten by turbulent air from off the top of the windshield.&nbsp\\; There is a good breeze from below, I like that.&nbsp\\; There is clear air about 12"&nbsp\\;above my head.&nbsp\\; But right where my head is I am being beaten like a drum, not wind but turbulence.&nbsp\\; I rode to work (20-minutes) and had a head ache from the buffeting.&nbsp\\; I have changed the angle on the windshield but have not tried it yet.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

If your windshield is at the correct highth your looking over it and wind will hit your face. Sportypig is right you will get used to it. As stated earlier, a visor on your helmet will cause a lot of turbulance.

Quick Reply: WINDSHIELD NOT ENOUGH