Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Oil Advice for Progressive Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 AM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fork Oil Advice for Progressive Springs

My Progressive fork springs have arrived and I'm ready to do the install, but I need to buy fork oil.&nbsp\\; I've read many recommendations on the internet to use Bel-Ray 15W fork oil, but I've called over a dozen dealers and cycle shops and can't find anyone who stocks it.

Can anyone recommend me a good alternative to Bel-Ray 15W, or should I just go with the HD stuff?

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts
Default RE: Fork Oil Advice for Progressive Springs

You can just use the HD fluid. I don't recommend the SE fork oil (15w) though with the progressive springs. The standard fork oil works better IMO. The 15w plus Progressive springs makes the front end pretty ridged, a 10w seems good to me.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 AM
ekaphoto
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all how much do you weigh? What do you want from your bike? Good handling or soft ride? The best idea is to chage one thing at a time. Put in your new springs with stock oil, then if you want someting diffrent get heavier or lighter oil.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:50 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Darn, I was afraid of that.&nbsp\\; My progressive springs will be here tomorrow.&nbsp\\; I already have some of the Screamin Eagle fork oil from when I switched to that with the stock springs.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Looks like I now have an excuse to take a ride to the Harley Dealer.&nbsp\\; Now the question....which Harley Dealer.&nbsp\\; Certainly not the one that is only 8 miles away.&nbsp\\; What's the fun in that??

Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 AM
BluePotato
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ekaphoto

First of all how much do you weigh? What do you want from your bike? Good handling or soft ride? The best idea is to chage one thing at a time. Put in your new springs with stock oil, then if you want someting diffrent get heavier or lighter oil.
I'm 185 pounds and more interested in a soft ride.&nbsp\\; I assume your recommendation will be HD stock fork oil (which I'm guessing is 10W?).

Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 AM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got progressive springs in my Heritage and went down the full 2 inches. I went with SE fork oil and am happy with it. The front still rides nice, stiffer than stock yes, but not annoying by any means.
&nbsp\\;
Remember this too, at least this is true for my bike....the stiffer ride keeps the bike from bottoming out...so for me i'll accept the stiffness for a little more insurance that I'm not going to bottom out the front end as easily.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes Blue Potato the standard HD fork oil is 10W&nbsp\\; The Screamin Eagle Fork oil is 15W, and it does stiffen up the front considerably.&nbsp\\; It worked great with the stock springs, but now those are just slap worn out.&nbsp\\; I suspect the Screamin Eagle will be too heavy for the progressive springs.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
BluePotato
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Yes Blue Potato the standard HD fork oil is 10W&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The Screamin Eagle Fork oil is 15W, and it does stiffen up the front considerably.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It worked great with the stock springs, but now those are just slap worn out.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I suspect the Screamin Eagle will be too heavy for the progressive springs.
Thanks for the advice.&nbsp\\; I'll be picking up the fork oil today or tomorrow and finishing off the job.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 230, and I use the 10W with Progressive springs, and the same quantity of fork oil as stock. I still hate the front end. The rear is plush with the Progressive 412s - they took some time for me to appreciate. Now, all I feel is the front.
&nbsp\\;
No one has discussed the quantity of oil - unless you want to pull your forks off to measure - how much oil do you put in each leg?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
hogsport
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BluePotato,
FYI, unless you are aproching 20,000 miles, you do not need to replace the fork oil to change the springs.&nbsp\\; Just take your time removing the stock springs, allowing the oil to drain off them.&nbsp\\; Follow the directions to measure the oil level (5 1/2" to 6"&nbsp\\;at center from top of fully compressed fork tube) and adjust as needed.&nbsp\\;
I left the stock oil in my '05 1200C and found a significantly improved ride with the progressive springs.
I am 230 lb.

Quick Reply: Fork Oil Advice for Progressive Springs