Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster - Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008 | 09:39 PM
m3apx
|
Cruiser
Default Nightster - Saddlebags

I just purchased an '08 Nightster (much against the advice of several of my friends that have larger Harleys - it's my first bike and I'm the one whose riding it, so......). I've already done a couple of long rides on the bike, and I'm going to need rear saddlebags to carry some light clothing - as well as for carrying work papers, lunch, etc. when I'm commuting to work. Any recommendations for rear bags?

I know I'll need to purchase the black solo rear detachable rack, but how do rear throw over bags actually secure to the rack? And, what keeps the bags away from the rear wheel and brake? It appears that Harley sells rear chrome saddlebag supports. Is that what I need in addition to the rear rack? I'll be purchasing from the dealer this weekend. They offer a 20% discount for all accessories purchased within the first 30 days and I'm fast approaching the deadline.

I was in a local leather shop this past weekend, and they carry a large variety of rear leather bags, significantly less expensive than what's available at the dealer. But, again, it's hard to tell what will and won't fit on the bike.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

And - I've just started reading the posts. There's a lot of good info. I was wondering why my bike was chugging a lot, and according to the recent post, it appears that I'm shifting up way too early..........even 5th gear at 55 seems to be right on the edge. Anything slower than that and the bike doesn't seem to like it. I'm glad to know that I'm not imagining this - the bike really does like the higher rpms.....Thanks, Ron.

Old 07-07-2008 | 09:42 PM
Nightster_Reaper
Tourer
Default RE: Nightster - Saddlebags

to my knowledge the only saddle bags that fit the nightster are the leather throw over saddle bags. but they go under the seat and dont secure to the rack. you could get a small round overnight back the secures to the rack for trips and such wouldn't recomend for daily use tho. there are a few guys here with both setups do a search for nightster pics and there is a thread with a bunch of nightster pics on here and guys in there have both types. hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:18 PM
m3apx
|
Cruiser

Thanks - it appears from previous posts that most just position small bags directly under the seat. That's great! Ron.

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:20 PM
Nightster_Reaper
Tourer

yea the throw overs can mount under the seat over oil tank. and good thing u didnt listen to your friends nightster is an awesome bike im 6'3 and was considering a dyna but didnt liek the way they felt but wouldnt trade my nightster for anything.

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:44 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior

Please don't put traditional saddle bags on your Nightster... Consider one of these three options:&nbsp\\; back-pack (what I use), bobber solo bag (from Licks Custom Cycles), solo luggage rack with roll bag.... These are the options that WON'T greatly detract from the clean look of your bike... Just my opinion though

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:53 PM
Betros
Tourer

Licks Cycles makes an awesome solo bag and Garage Leathers makes a cool one also.

Old 07-08-2008 | 06:48 AM
Barley
Cruiser

I would suggest just attaching a bag to the solo rack.&nbsp\\; Keeps the clean lines.&nbsp\\; For examples look at my photos link.

Old 07-08-2008 | 07:02 AM
Teek
Road Warrior

Yes, get the detachable solo rack...in black of course! No, don't get throwovers...just a suggestion, do what you want. Hell, I go against advice all the time!&nbsp\\;Get a decent sized roll bag for it...it will carry essentials for an overnighter. An extra change of clothes, hygene kit, and some small, handy items like flashlight, meal bars, water bottle or whatever. Anything more and just use a backpack. I have a 1200 Low. I have it set up as a Bagster. And commuting to work I wear a backpack. Why? Because I carry my work crap inside with me, and all I have do is step off the bike and it's already with me. Much more handy that way.
Now here is a pic of the roll bag. It is NOT on a nightster, but just to show what it looks like.&nbsp\\;It's behind the backrest.&nbsp\\;If you can find one a little larger, it might be more versatile for overnight trips and still have room for a jacket, too.

&nbsp\\;
Of course, if you tend to get carried away packing for an overnighter like I do you might need a lot more room!&nbsp\\;This pic is when I went camping in near freezing temps and had to pack all my warm stuff in the pack because the next day got up to 70s.

&nbsp\\;
For the vast majority of whatever you might do, a roll bag and backpack should do it.
Teek
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 08:44 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

I too found I need saddlebags on my Nightster.&nbsp\\; I replaced the ones in my sig pic with ones my hubby made for me, but it’s the same setup. I have a support bracket (NOT detachable, unfortunately – have not been successful in finding one for Sportsters), and support bracket is recommended to protect the bike AND the bags. If I really want to go with the “clean” look I can have the supports off in a few minutes. Same with the windshield (which IS detachable).&nbsp\\; You need to have your bike set up to be functional for whatever you personally need.
&nbsp\\;
Even with the windshield and saddlebags on, I pulled up to the dealer and a guy was getting off his touring bike (not sure what model) but he came over and said “now THAT is a sweet looking Sportster”.&nbsp\\; This, much to the dismay of my hubby who was sitting there beside me with his really cool looking Night Train

Old 07-08-2008 | 09:59 AM
DL
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Barley

I would suggest just attaching a bag to the solo rack.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Keeps the clean lines.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; For examples look at my photos link.
&nbsp\\;
Hi,&nbsp\\;What kind of bag is that? The pictures are pretty cool with truck and everything by the way.

Quick Reply: Nightster - Saddlebags