Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's it ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:19 AM
ryansebik
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's it ride?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I am in search of information about a 2008 883 Custom.&nbsp\\; I'm interested in getting a nice little scoot and orginally I wanted a 1200R but was told HD will no longer continue that model for 2009.&nbsp\\; None the less I'm stuck in Iraq until later this year and was hoping to get a bike upon my return.&nbsp\\; In dissapointment I started looking at the other Sportster models and I really did not like the 1200 Custom, too much chrome for me plus I saw the 883 Custom and saw the price difference.&nbsp\\; That difference pretty much sells the bike to me.&nbsp\\; My questions are as follows:
-How does it ride in general?
-How is it on the highway (70mph)
-Is it capable of doing 2 up around town?
&nbsp\\;
I have been riding for about five or six years now and I sold my CBR 1000 and am left with my 1973 RD 350 and I really hate to put more miles on it than I have to, but I have to ride, I love it.&nbsp\\; Due to modern military regs I can't ride my wife's Ninja anymore without a specific sportbike course so I'm out of that market and have my heart set on a cruiser.&nbsp\\; I've looked at a Triumph Speedmaster but I'd rather a Sporty.&nbsp\\; Plus I'm not mechanically challenged so if I wanted to upgrade the 883 with new pipes, intake, ect. and mabey down the line do a 1200 conversion.
I appreciate the help, nobody I know rides on of these.
-Ryan Sebik

Old 07-05-2008, 07:09 AM
sportster2
Novice
Default RE: How's it ride?

Hi!

I have 2007 model, 883 custom. I looked the specs from official homepage and couldnt find any differences, so I guess they are same bike. I have only rode one other bike than my 883 (Honda CB 500) and from this somewhat limited experience I would say that the sportster is a lot more fun and you can do anything with it, including long range cruise.

" -How does it ride in general? "

It rides good, nothing to complain. Slow cruising at city, serious long distance travel, no problem. It accelerates enough to overtake cages safely, not so fast as rice rockets but you knew it anyway

" -How is it on the highway (70mph)"

I've ridden one hour legs at highways (with a passenger) at 85mph and never had any problems with engine power or wind fatigue. The wind does blow, of course, but it is just so much fun that I just dont care about it I have stock seat and one hour or hour and a half is maximum that I can sit on it, then a little break is necessary. If your passenger has the right attitude, you can ride all day.

" -Is it capable of doing 2 up around town? "

Yes it is. And it also is capable doing 2 up long distance. Of course your passenger must realize that it is not a Gold Wing, its all-naked bike. When slowing down and stopping at red light with a passenger, like 1-2 mph speed, it cames pretty unstable, and you must concentrate a bit. Also stock suspension is little too soft for 2 up, it goes all the way down pretty (too) easy. When riding 2 up, you definitely dont want to hit any major bumbs at high speeds (stock suspension).

As I have very limited experience from other bikes, I couldnt know any better, but anyway I say that the sportster is both very capable and very fun. I have no cage, all my commuting and long distance is done with my bike. That might tell something about it.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:37 AM
MADOGA
Cruiser

I have the 2008 883 custom.
&nbsp\\;
What can i say its a wonderfull bike the pride and joy of my life!.
runs well at highway speeds and gets to those speeds quick,
rides well 2 up, but for longer trips you might want an aftermarket seat,
I like my chrome so put heaps of extra on mine and then hand polished the front forks.
overall it rides well, has a certain&nbsp\\;nimble flickableness to it unlike a lot of big cruisers, great for splitting/filtering traffic

Old 07-05-2008, 08:58 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, yes, and yes. Get an easy release shield, throttle rocker, harley pillow seat and you can cruise with anyone for an extra $500 bucks. Keep you stock seat so you can do a quick change in 5 minutes and look cool bar hopping with the boys.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 AM
HarleyBerri
Cruiser

I fully support your interest in the 883 custom.&nbsp\\; The thing is, if you're over in Iraq, you should be able to get a sweet deal on any of Harley's bikes (there's some kind of program where you can get them almost half the price they are over here).&nbsp\\; If you're really NOT into chrome, I recommend the Nightster as a fine bike that still has the 1200 displacement.&nbsp\\; I understand it's a lot more expensive than the 883 (that's why I went with the 883 instead of the Nightster) but if you can get a great deal over there, it's worth it.

I ride an 883Low, and it's the smoothest ride I've had, of course I'm used to being on the back of my boyfriend's old Honda Shadow which was relatively comfortable.&nbsp\\; Whichever bike you do end up going with, you'll be able to do all the things you want to do with them, that's what makes them so marketable.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only issue I would agree is that riding 2-up requires a good seat. Nothing narrow or flat.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 PM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sportster2

When slowing down and stopping at red light with a passenger, like 1-2 mph speed, it cames pretty unstable...
Why is that?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:13 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sportster......
Best Harley ever made.....
Buy one

Old 07-06-2008, 12:46 AM
ray1970
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought an 06 883 custom for my wife.... liked it so much I bought an 883 low for myself.... didn't like the 883 low so much I traded it in for an 08 1200 Roadster..... Sportsters are just fun bikes..... Whatever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy it.