Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chug, chug, chug????

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:02 AM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chug, chug, chug????

The speed band can seem a bit narrow sometimes. For instance, there are a lot of 30 mph zones around me and the Sportster just doesn't seem to like that speed. It's a little too fast for 2nd and a little too slow for 3rd. If I pick it up just to 32 or 33, the it seems pretty happy in 3rd. It's amazing what a difference just a couple mph makes.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

DOWNSHIFT-twist right grip=enjoy!!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:31 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pitts2112

The speed band can seem a bit narrow sometimes. For instance, there are a lot of 30 mph zones around me and the Sportster just doesn't seem to like that speed. It's a little too fast for 2nd and a little too slow for 3rd. If I pick it up just to 32 or 33, the it seems pretty happy in 3rd. It's amazing what a difference just a couple mph makes.
&nbsp\\;
I know what you are talking about. I ride with my hubby and he had a Night Train, and now an Electra Glide and those bikes are obviously geared differently, (or whatever the technical term is that&nbsp\\;I'm looking for). &nbsp\\;He leads. I always feel like where he ends up "cruising at" (speed wise) that I am wishing we were going just a little bit slower or a little bit faster, because I always am shifting up or down trying to find the right gear that MY bike seems comfortable in.&nbsp\\; We do most of our weekend riding enjoying the country backroads,&nbsp\\; and wherever we are at, I am just always trying to settle in to the right gear.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
I know what you are talking about. I ride with my hubby and he had a Night Train, and now an Electra Glide and those bikes are obviously geared differently, (or whatever the technical term is that&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;I'm looking for). &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;He leads. I always feel like where he ends up "cruising at" (speed wise) that I am wishing we were going just a little bit slower or a little bit faster, because I always am shifting up or down trying to find the right gear that MY bike seems comfortable in.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; We do most of our weekend riding enjoying the country backroads,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; and wherever we are at, I am just always trying to settle in to the right gear.

I have the same problem when I ride with my dad.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; He rides a Suzuki Volusia 800 thats geared a lot different than a sportster and can be in 5th going like 40-45... Im constantly shifting when following him, pretty annoying.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i ride with a bunch of guys who have all sorts of different makes/models. i've found that the best way to avoid cruising in an uncomfortable gear is to get in front and lead.

i like what schumacher has to say. ya just dont get it yet. keep riding it'll come to you.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:17 PM
rgswaim
Intermediate

My XL1200C does not have a tach.&nbsp\\; Is there a good add on tack that I can put on my bike?
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

let it rev to 4k to 4.5k before you shift.

i have to rev my new ducati to 6.5 before i shift, so its a new learning experience for me as well

Old 07-05-2008, 12:18 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Azwethinkweiz

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;
I know what you are talking about. I ride with my hubby and he had a Night Train, and now an Electra Glide and those bikes are obviously geared differently, (or whatever the technical term is that&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\;I'm looking for). &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;He leads. I always feel like where he ends up "cruising at" (speed wise) that I am wishing we were going just a little bit slower or a little bit faster, because I always am shifting up or down trying to find the right gear that MY bike seems comfortable in.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\; We do most of our weekend riding enjoying the country backroads,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; and wherever we are at, I am just always trying to settle in to the right gear.

I have the same problem when I ride with my dad.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; He rides a Suzuki Volusia 800 thats geared a lot different than a sportster and can be in 5th going like 40-45... Im constantly shifting when following him, pretty annoying.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
You folks just need to lead. That way you are in your comfort zone (or at least the bike is) and they have to do all the work. If they try to pass, just downshift and twist to keep them at bay.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just give it time and you will get the feel from the bike to know when its time to shift and down-shift. Engine sound on a HD can seem as if its rev'ing too high, but its not. Didnt someone test the rev limiter and get a Sporty to 55+ in 2nd gear?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:15 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 257 Posts

Under hard acceleration my 06 1200 will hit the limiter around 60 mph in 2nd gear. I have never done it in 1st, but I should. I feel it's a good idea to get a feel for when they will hit the limiter in 1st-2nd-3rd. 4th and 5th would be a bit unsafe&nbsp\\; because the speeds would be so fast. Just don't do it all the time. Right now I cant remember what speed I was&nbsp\\;at when I hit it in 3rd. Well, got to do it one more time... BTW, you will know when you hit the limiter. Just be sure to shift up or let up on it as soon as you hit it...

Old 07-05-2008, 03:51 PM
higg47
Road Master

Around town it's a 1 down and 3 up bike. Never hit 5th till I'm out on the highway.

Quick Reply: Chug, chug, chug????