Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer service question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dealer service question

OK, folks, I have an issue that I'd like a little help on.&nbsp\\; Without going into details or naming names, I just got royally hosed by an incompetent dealership service department.

I spoke to the service manager and he was ill equipped to handle a customer that knows a box wrench from a box lunch (it was his first day on the job).&nbsp\\; I called the dealership to speak to the general manager, only to find out he quit and there is none.&nbsp\\; I wound up talking to the parts department manager and I felt pretty bad unloading my service department issues on him because he's, well, the parts manager and it's not his mess.&nbsp\\; His solution was "Bring the bike back in and talk to the service manager" Apparently, he think's I'll have better luck the second time...

What can I do to resolve the situation?&nbsp\\; I'm madder than hell about the complete incompetence and lack of professionalism at this dealership and I'm having to trailer my bike 100 miles to a reputable dealership as a result of these boneheads.&nbsp\\;

Do I contact Harley and make a complaint?&nbsp\\; Do I attempt to track down the owner of the dealership and express my displeasure with their establishment?&nbsp\\;

And, on a completely "unrelated" side note, if anyone needs service in Stafford, Texas... do yourself a favor and head to one of the dealers in Houston.&nbsp\\; Or, better yet, skip Houston and head to Beaumont, TX or New Braunsfels, TX.&nbsp\\; Cowboy and Gruene both have seriously professional service departments and they actually listen to the customers rather than play grabass behind the counter.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Dealer service question

There are a number of people you can email. They may not jump in to help you, but then again they might. Look for people to email that would be affected by giving the area a bad name.

Mayor, Chamber of Commerce, City Council, etc. are folks that HATE pissing off consumers and residents in a town/city. Constituent service is representatives helping their constituents handle problems that can be best handled by a representative getting involved. Politicians HATE the word constituent.

http://www.cityofstafford.com/

Old 07-02-2008, 09:07 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand San Jacinto HD's service department is reputable and professional. I take my bike all the way to Javelina Harley in Boerne, Texas for service. They care about their customers.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grease, I suggest you keep it in the family.&nbsp\\; I won't even begin to get into whether you got "hosed" or not. You gave no particulars.&nbsp\\; Start with the next guy up and work from there.&nbsp\\; This is the old "Chain of Command" and it does work.&nbsp\\; I have been known to write topthe CEO of a corporation and tho I doubt he ever saw the letter itself, I got a call and satisfaction.&nbsp\\; My local dealership is a gem.&nbsp\\; They haved fixed problems that maybe they really didn't have to.&nbsp\\; I call up order a part, no problem, done deal and a few days later I get a call that says your part is in.&nbsp\\; I do believe that HD is about us.&nbsp\\; If your dealer isn't, tell someone.&nbsp\\; Mine is.&nbsp\\; Heck, the owner has bikes I think HD would like in the museum.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Good advice Sarge. Nice avenue to persue should Harley not fix it. No sarcasm intended. First, attempt to resolve your problem with the dealer. Been there done that haven't you. Next, ask for the Harley customer number. It's not an 800 number. Mother Harley WILL follow through with your problem. Next, write your representitive. That and a quarter will...

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
wdatkinson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've purchased three HD's through one particular local dealer. I've always had a good experience. I've been told that the survey's you get from the dealer will help determine what that dealership gets in the form of numer and models of bikes, etc. So someone at Mother does listen and is concerned that the dealerships bearing the HD name are living up to their expectations.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that this should be handled at as low of a level as possible.&nbsp\\; The issue could be resolved very quickly and very easily with a general manager.&nbsp\\; Unfortunately, that isn't an option since their GM up and quit.

I'm not at the point that I feel I need to call Harley over it, because I really believe that it can be resolved in the dealership.&nbsp\\; I'm not sure how to track down the ownership, though.&nbsp\\;

I have two wonderful dealers that I really support, unfortunately, one is 100 miles away, the other is 150 miles away.&nbsp\\; I think&nbsp\\; I'll talk to the guys at those dealers and see what they think.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you thought to ask who the owner is ? Most dealerships aren't that big that the owner isn't around some of the time. You still haven't told anyone how you think you got hosed ??? As far as the mayor, city council, politician whatever........I think not. Ask about owner, leave message for him to call and vent to him. It's his business, not the mayors. They screw with &amp\\; screw up cities, not HD dealerships !!!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

HD Corporate Customer Service:&nbsp\\; (414) 343-4056.
&nbsp\\;
I have had some success by contacting them.&nbsp\\; Although I have to admit it was only after I met and got the personal cell phone of the Southern Region Director.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Lord Bundrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You never know what you will get an HD dealer- there are three in Orange County CA and one parts guy didn't know **** and the other shop the guy had the exact part in hand in 30 seconds without looking it up.&nbsp\\; I also had a local dealer call the other dealer a$$holes because they wouldn't sell a part for his personal bike, so it's just hit and miss i guess.&nbsp\\; Sucks that your next choices are 100 and 150 miles away, but you should definately confront them about being hosed, as high up as you can get- sales manager, whatever.
&nbsp\\;
good luck!

Quick Reply: Dealer service question