Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Bolt HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 AM
ecaldwell78
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Bolt HELP!!!

I have stripped two of the cheap *** T-45 triple clamp pinch bolts.[:@]&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I picked up two from the dealer for a whopping $.85&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a piece but now I need the veteran's advice on the easiest way to remove the stripped pinch bolts.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Come on guys, let the ideas roll in!!!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
pscheval
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stripped Bolt HELP!!!

I've used a small chisel and hammer.... and some patience

Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 AM
ecaldwell78
Tourer

Well I was thinking if I could hammer in either a T-50 bit or a slightly larger hex bit, I may be able to get enough bite to get these out.&nbsp\\; Not too sure about it though.&nbsp\\; I got mad and quit on it last night.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get an Easy Out kit....It's well worth it....
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Taps+%26+Dies

Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
ecaldwell78
Tourer

I received the "GrabBit Pro" by Alden as a gift and it wouldn't work for sh*t.&nbsp\\; The first bit snapped at a very low speed and after that, I just could not get them to grab and I followed the directions to a T.&nbsp\\; I may go and buy a more expensive set as these were "as seen on TV" gadgets and not the strongest material.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

uh, e-z out. what is a pinch bolt?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

NOOO DO NOT DRILL IT!!! if you get the head off on the pinch bolt you will not be able to get to the rest of it!!!, try an easy out, before you try to unscrew it you have to break the loctite loose and stretch the threads... i know it sounds crazy but get a center punch put it in the middle of the bolt and give it a good wack! with a hammer, then try the easy out, if that does not work, soak it down with some WD or breaker bolt/rest remover, then get out your dremmil cut a good line in it and see if you can get a FAT flat head screw driver to break it loose, if that does not work, tape up the area all aroudn the bolt, get a small chisel and medium taps of the hammer in an angle to try and un screw it... i work on ALOT of old bikes and run into this alot... the best tip i ever learned was stretching the threads with the punch... got it from an old farmer and LOVE IT! works

Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

NOOO DO NOT DRILL IT!!! if you get the head off on the pinch bolt you will not be able to get to the rest of it!!!, try an easy out, before you try to unscrew it you have to break the loctite loose and stretch the threads... i know it sounds crazy but get a center punch put it in the middle of the bolt and give it a good wack! with a hammer, then try the easy out, if that does not work, soak it down with some WD or breaker bolt/rest remover, then get out your dremmil cut a good line in it and see if you can get a FAT flat head screw driver to break it loose, if that does not work, tape up the area all aroudn the bolt, get a small chisel and medium taps of the hammer in an angle to try and un screw it... i work on ALOT of old bikes and run into this alot... the best tip i ever learned was stretching the threads with the punch... got it from an old farmer and LOVE IT! works
What he ^^^^ said!!!!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Do not knock the head off, otherwise you're going to be drilling the whole dang bolt out and retapping it with larger threads.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
ecaldwell78
Tourer

I think i will try the easy out w/ center punch method first.&nbsp\\; Do you know if any of the penetrating sprays like PB Blast, WD40, etc. are designed to dissolve the loctite to make this job any easier?

Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the easy-out. When you drill, use motor oil as a lubricant - dip the bit's tip&nbsp\\;in a little bit of oil every 10 sec. or so, and use a slow drill speed. Take your time - being in a hurry will likely result in a snapped drill bit and a worse problem - now that soft metal bolt has a hard steel center. Don't ask me how I know this.

Quick Reply: Stripped Bolt HELP!!!