Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Bolt HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stripped Bolt HELP!!!

Your gonna think I am crazy but this method never failed me. Use the t47 but first wrap in a small piece of rubber like from an inner tube. Tap it in tight with a hammer first. You will be shocked at how snug and tight it will fit.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: wilburz

uh, e-z out. what is a pinch bolt?
One of the bolts in the triple trees that hold you forks in place.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,913 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Mandog, I've got a similar stuck allen head bolt in a Ground Control coilover locking ring on my 'Rolla.&nbsp\\; I'm gonna try your trick on it after first punching the hell out of it.
&nbsp\\;
I've not had much success with easy outs.&nbsp\\; I'd say that I've been successful with them 10% of the time, unsuccessful 40% and 50% snapped the damn things off in the hole.&nbsp\\; I don't use them anymore.&nbsp\\; Oh, reverse drill bits work well too.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without going to look at my bike I couldn't remember If the head was above the surface or they where countersunk...but just seen a picture of a Nightster triple tree on another post and the bolts seem to have a dome head which are above the surface.....so If thats the case,like people said...spend a few days spraying the area with W.D 40.....use a hacksaw blade to cut a slot across the dome,then use a impact wrench (the type that twists when you hit It) with a flat screwdriver bit In the end......If I got desperate,I might look at getting someone to mig weld a bar onto It (disconnect battery),but you'd have to cover surrounding are with heat resistant material.
&nbsp\\;I'm not keen on easyouts,you have to drill a long way In....only seem to work on loose bolts....and they snap easy.
&nbsp\\;Drilling a tapping would be the last thing.....If you're skilled,you could do It the same size.....If It goes wrong,you're looking at doing It the next size up.....good luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Steve_in_FL
Tourer

So, did you get it out??&nbsp\\; Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
1200efi
Tourer

put your t47 bit in the screw and hit it hard 3-4 times, it shocks the threads and compress's the soft metal under the head of the bolt, works for me. also the impact driver is good to, if you own one at the time, couldn't do half the bolts with out it. good luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to use a hammer driver years a go when they used philps head screws. Put the next size torx Set the driver for a counter clockwise turn give it a wack with a hammer should loosein it up some times you got to do it 2or3 times just reset the tool after each hit with the hammer.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
ecaldwell78
Tourer

Hey fellas.&nbsp\\; I just got in from the shop and I was able to get one pinch bolt out by hammering in a T-50.&nbsp\\; The easy out and the reverse drill bits did not work on the other so I took a 3 inch cutoff tool and cut a slot, and used a bit from a hammer drill (it fit the cut slot best) and tapped the top one out.&nbsp\\; The latter method was a little nerve racking as I did NOT want to snap the head off such a soft material.&nbsp\\; Total time with two smoke/beer breaks was about 30 minutes.
Thanks for all the great advice guys!&nbsp\\; I am a pretty good wrench with cars and boats but have NEVER been good at working with stripped bolts.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
racinorange
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am sooo glad I am not the only one dealing with this....I currently have two stripped out bolts on my derby cover. One of which has an easy out broken off inside the stripped bolt....go figure...it happens every time I do ANYTHING on my own. very frustrating. I am taking mine to the dealer from now on for EVERYTHING. I am $70 into tools trying to get the freakin' things out.

good luck

Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
UPSBROWN
Tourer

What JRK5892&nbsp\\;said. And rather than a screw driver get an "L" shaped a flat head screw driver. They look just like an allen wrench. Or you could use the screw driver and clamp some vice grips for a better grip.

Quick Reply: Stripped Bolt HELP!!!