Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nightster/fuel pak problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008 | 08:15 PM
georgia cruiser
|
1st Gear
Default nightster/fuel pak problems

My Nightster is 7 weeks old now with about 2,500 miles on it. I installed V/H Short Shots, S/E Stage 1 a/c and the V/H FuelPak. It ran great for about a week then started running rough and occasionally backfiring through the breather. Called Vance &amp\\; Hines and they had me change some numbers. Ran great for a week and now it is doing it again. Called VH back, changed some more numbers and it seems fine again for now. Just wandering if anyone else is having these problems. I am thinking about taking the Fuel Pak off and taking a hammer to it and getting the Stage 1 download from Harley but i don't know anything about that either. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-30-2008 | 08:29 PM
Dango
Road Captain
Default RE: nightster/fuel pak problems

The ShortShots are poppers for sure. I had the Stage 1 done first (with heavy breather) and they backfired. I put the quiet baffles in- backfired less, but increased after miles of riding. I installed the Fuel Pak and, again, quiet at first, but soon after they backfired. I had it DYNO tuned BY V/H and it ran great for about a week. Guess what? You got it...backfiring. I'm going to contact them again to tweak it some more. If I continue to have these issues, I may switch to the Power Commander and get rid of the Pak or maybe even switch pipes all together. I like the sound of the Rineharts too.

Old 06-30-2008 | 08:37 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

I ripped my fuelpak out and took off the short shots and that fixed the back firing I would not purchase a V&H product ever again. I can honestly say I disliked V&H before I bought my nightster due to friends having V&H pipes on street bikes and harleys but now that I have owned a set I am sticking to my feelings about there products. Plus after installing the Fuelpak and realizing how shitty that was to get in there, I wonder how they engineer there products.

Old 06-30-2008 | 08:54 PM
confederate
Most Wanted

I have similar mods with the exception that I did do the HD download and added a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner.&nbsp\\; I have not had any of the issues that you are having.&nbsp\\; Good luck on resolving this.

Old 06-30-2008 | 11:06 PM
fordradio
Intermediate

My local stealer, Glendale HD refuse to even install the V&amp\\;H Fuel Pak, apparently the failure rate is so high they don't want to deal with it. Just a bit of info to chew on.

Old 07-01-2008 | 04:09 AM
girlslikechef
Tourer

W O W !!!!!! After hearing all this...Im not going anywhere near Vance &amp\\; Hines pipes...I wanted to put the short shots on my nightster...But now I think im going with the Reinharts...

Does anyone know anything about BUB JUG-HUGGERS ? Price ? How they Run ? etc etc etc...

Old 07-01-2008 | 04:53 AM
georgia cruiser
|
1st Gear

Thanks for the info guys. At least I know it's not just me. I don't mind some popping from the exhaust it's just the rough running and popping thru the breather. I guess I will call the stealer today.

Old 07-01-2008 | 07:42 AM
07HDnightster
Road Captain

I guess i've been lucky...cause i've been running the fuelpak for about 2000miles and i'm running a set of side-shots. I haven't had any issues yet and hopefully I won't. Makes me nervous about some of the problems yall are running into. I don't plan on changing anything unless I have a big problem.

Old 07-01-2008 | 02:07 PM
Lord Bundrick
Cruiser

i have the short shots too without any tune and she pops and cracks like crazy- dropping it off at the HD dealer after i put the stage 1 screaming eagle AF on to have them do the tune.&nbsp\\; i will definately post after it's done, and if it doesn't purr i might have to change em out.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008 | 03:01 PM
VBCH Nightster
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: georgia cruiser

My Nightster is 7 weeks old now with about 2,500 miles on it. I installed V/H Short Shots, S/E Stage 1 a/c and the V/H FuelPak. It ran great for about a week then started running rough and occasionally backfiring through the breather. Called Vance &amp\\;\\\\\\; Hines and they had me change some numbers. Ran great for a week and now it is doing it again. Called VH back, changed some more numbers and it seems fine again for now. Just wandering if anyone else is having these problems. I am thinking about taking the Fuel Pak off and taking a hammer to it and getting the Stage 1 download from Harley but i don't know anything about that either. Any ideas? Thanks.
&nbsp\\;
I'm assuming you used map FP-0681 with your setup. What changes did V&amp\\;H give you the first and second time?

Quick Reply: nightster/fuel pak problems