Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hands Asleep

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hands Asleep

Relax your grip, and ride more. I think we're all guilty of "death grip" every once and while.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM
fishboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me as well when I first started riding... come to find out my gloves were too tight. I rode without gloves because my neighbor suggested it and the problem went away. So I bought the next size bigger gloves and I am good to go now.

Greg

Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
cnicholson
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my hands, "death grip" is a good term, I had to learn to loosen my grip because I'm a new rider.&nbsp\\;My Sporty came with the stock grips (small diameter) I put 1.5" diameter grips on, even with the death grip my hands do not go numb anymore.
&nbsp\\;
chris.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I also have ISO grips and they are great.&nbsp\\; I&nbsp\\;had carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, but only the left has been operated on so far and I have NO problems with that hand at all.&nbsp\\; The right hand, yet to have the surgery, is a constant problem but I'm convinced once I have the carpal tunnel fixed in my right wrist, I'll be totally OK in both hands.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice in replacing the grips, if they are stock, and loosening that death grip.&nbsp\\; Another thing to look at is your seat.&nbsp\\; I replaced my stock seat with a Mustang, which has excellent lower back support.&nbsp\\; Most of my riding is in the freeway and the stock seat with minimal to no back support at all made me feel like I had to grip harder just to hang on at freeway speeds.&nbsp\\; With the Mustang, much more relaxed and very light grip, even at 80mph.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The Harley gel palmed riding gloves really help a lot too.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master

Put a Throttle Rocker on the right grip, and use a padded palm glove. I don't give a rip what people say about my glovesfour pair of them to fit every season. I use the mesh workout gloves the most because they are cooler and have a good padding in the palm. The only riders who don't wear gloves are the ones that are going down. The rest of us have been down and know better.

Take a long ride with a good experienced friend leading the way. That way you don't have the option of stopping. You will become conscious of your tense grip and will be forced to relax your grip on the open road. The weight of your right hand will be enough to keep the bike up at cruising speed.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Gpsjr10

&nbsp\\;I did see someone that had these jell filled covers that slip over your stock grips, he said they work great and they were like $12 or something.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Maybe that will work for you.
&nbsp\\;
I have something like those. They are called Grip Puppies from www.casporttouring.com&nbsp\\;$8 a pair. They seem to work ok.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:02 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gpsjr10

I have the ISO grips on mine, They help quite a bit.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I did see someone that had these jell filled covers that slip over your stock grips, he said they work great and they were like $12 or something.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Maybe that will work for you.
That's a great idea.&nbsp\\; Do you know where he got the covers?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:02 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're an old fart like most of us, it's a combination of things.
&nbsp\\;
I had to sort thur several seats, bars and grips before I felt no more numbness.
&nbsp\\;
Your helmet might be too heavy and place strain on you cervical vertebrae....if that's the case, you hands will fersure get numb....try a carbon fiber helmet.
&nbsp\\;
Too tight gloves will fersure make you exert extra grip force and cause your hands to tire quickly...so try to find gloves that are premoulded where they make a fist when removed.
&nbsp\\;
Check your seating/bar position...if you are leaning forward and placing lots of weight on your palms, then you need taller bars and more pullback and/or a more forward seat bucket.

Quick Reply: Hands Asleep