Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 Sportster chain and sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Wstar425
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Sportster chain and sprocket

Hello all,

I'm helping a friend who just bought a 1989 1200 Sportster. I know next to nothing about Harleys but have had bikes my entire life. I currently have 2 V65 Magnas and a ZL900 Kaw. Not here to talk about my bikes.

My buddy is 70 years old, on somewhat of a whim he bought this bike. He has not had a bike since he was 23. He is 70 but you would think he is 55 and he acts like he is 45. He still rides around on the hay wagon loading bales by hand. He asked me to come look at his bike as it was making a lot of grinding noises. His daughter has a Harley but she does not do her own wrenching. I have a decent shop with tools. So, looked at his bike. I wish he would have talked to me before he bought it! It has 54,000 miles on it, apparently, the engine has been "souped" up some but he does not know exactly what they did. Sorry I do not have a lot of intel, he does not have a lot of intel.

It has chain drive, which I know next to nothing about on a bike. From what I could see the chain was so loose it was rubbing on the swing arm. I tightened the chain up and we went out for a ride. He stopped and said it was worse, making more noise than before. Checked the chain and it was as tight as could be, so rode back and loosened it up a little. Rode it again and it was better but still making some "grinding" sounds from somewhere. I think the chain is shot, the&nbsp\\; rear sprocket is not terrible but far from new, and can't see the front sproket without taking off a cover and mabe one exhaust pipe. Did not get into it that far. The chain rattles a lot, seems to be very dry. I don't think it has been lubed in many miles. The last chain bike I had anything to do with was a TTR125 Yamaha.

So, from this little bit of information, can anyone give me some ideas of what to really look for? We did roll the bike forward and the chain would get tighter and looser as the bike moved, which only made me think sprockets out of round. I don't see any way to get the chain adjusted correctly in this scenario.

I did a little online research for parts at Dennis Kirk and J &amp\\; P and came up with some sprockets, but chain is all over the place. I mean, I could go to Fleet Farm and buy some chain, but I don't think that is what we want to do. It looks like the rear is 47-50 tooth, and the front is 23? Someone correct me if that is wrong, please!

Also, if the motor has been worked on would we want to go a tooth or two taller than stock? I did not ride the bike, not sure where the rpm is at road speed. He said it was a four speed tranny. That is about what I know about it.

If you have a good online parts source I would appreciate that. Not impressed with either on of those two for Harley parts. Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated. I told him that I did not think he should be riding it this way, but if he does to take it easy because I think that chain is not too far from going. I know the 1200 has some torque!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Doug
Wstar425@charter.net