Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburated vs. Injected

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 AM
StevenBVT
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburated vs. Injected

&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I'm probably going to start shopping for a Sportster soon, most likely used rather than new ($$$).&nbsp\\; I have a couple of questions...
1. Can you tell by looking at a stock 883 or 1200 whether it has fuel injection?&nbsp\\; What should I look for?
2. On non-injected motors, is there a lot of upkeep to them (other than regular fluid changes)?&nbsp\\; I've seen one particular eBay listing that said something to the effect "this one's carburated, if you like to work on motors" implying that they are less reliable???
3. What would you suggest for my area where I will be starting it up on cool (like 50 degree) mornings?&nbsp\\; Would fuel injection be better?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Carburated vs. Injected

you can look where the carbuerator normally is, and you will see a throttle body with injectors and lots of wires.

the reliability should be the same. as long as its a 2004+ model. inspect for oil leaks.

"like to work on motors"

The way I see it, if you have a carbuerated bike, and your going to use it as a commuter, you really only have to tune the carb once (assuming it is a modified or out of tune used bike) and its done. run good gas and dont let the bike sit for more than a week and your fine. run a tank of SeaFoam or Techron every once in awhile and its fine.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 AM
FlyinJ
Cruiser

1:&nbsp\\; All 2006 and older Sportsters are carb models.&nbsp\\; You can tell by looking at them behind the airfilter can.
2:&nbsp\\; Just as reliable.&nbsp\\; Most likely he means that you can adjust the bike yourself with any mods you do.&nbsp\\; By&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\; changing out jets you can tune your carb yourself, were as with the fuel injection you need to by a&nbsp\\;programmable ingnition or take it to the stealer to be adjusted after performance mods are done.&nbsp\\; Bend over and prepare yourself if taking to the dealer.
3:&nbsp\\; Mine is carbed and tuned with a 1200 conversion job.&nbsp\\; On cool mornings I just choke it, twist the throttle a couple quick times and it fires up just fine, hardly ever pops.&nbsp\\; Runs great after about 30 seconds.
If you plan on doing any performance upgrades the carb version may give you more flexibilty with less $$$$.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend an EFI, 2007 and up, if you can find one in your budget.&nbsp\\; Nice to fire and go, and excellent throttle response.&nbsp\\; But that's just my opinion.&nbsp\\; But carb or EFI, just buy one.&nbsp\\; You'll love it.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Carbed bike= simpler and cheaper to do stage 1 mods.
Should run fine if things are done right.
My 04 Sporty was dead simple to tune and ran like a scalded dog.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
kdhd1200C
Advanced

My sporty is EFI and I love the throttle response compared to my friends 99' 883.&nbsp\\; But, if I had to pick one to wrench on, I'd go carb everytime.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 AM
rdss
Road Captain

I love the EFI on my Nightster and once you get over the intial shock of buying the Power Commander, you wont regret it.&nbsp\\; With some fine tuning of the MAPS that come with the PC III software, I have the bike running pretty good, but can't wait for the custom dyno tune I will be getting on the 11th of July.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 PM
RMT
Cruiser

Easiest way to see if its EFI or Carbed is to look for the reserve switch&nbsp\\;and choke on the left side of the bike.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:13 PM
wdatkinson
Advanced

I had a 2005 883 Sportster before purchasing our XL50. I was spoiled by the EFI on my Road King and really hated firing up the 883. It wouldn't run rough for about the first ten minutes, then it worked fine.

So far I'm loving the XL50 and its EFI. I just finished an exhaust, ac and fuel management mod with great success. I did for ~$800 what the dealer was wanting $1500+ for.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned it yet, but the easiest way to tell an EFI from a carb model would be the presence of a choke ****.....

Old 06-26-2008, 02:08 PM
hogsport
Road Master

My '05 is carbed, has stage 1 and runs fantastic.&nbsp\\; Your selection of $4, 5 &amp\\; 6k prices will be huge in the +04 carbed bikes.&nbsp\\; It is amazing how many are out there with 1 or 2k miles on them.&nbsp\\; Mine just turned 17k miles. &nbsp\\;5k, 10k and 15k service &amp\\; tires are all I have needed to do.&nbsp\\; Probably the best thing I ever bought.&nbsp\\; - I did a couple mods, but they were not service.
&nbsp\\;
Get one - Times a wastin'

Quick Reply: Carburated vs. Injected