Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburated vs. Injected

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carburated vs. Injected

What's key is the warm up. People w/efi think once the rpms come down its ok to take off cause it doesn't sputter or pop, well that's wrong. It's still a Harley, and they need at least a few minutes to warm up, EFI or not. If you don't let your bike warm up you'll be doing maintenance that wouldn't be necessary if you let it warm up, especially on cold mornings. Let it warm up at least until the heads are almost uncomfortable to touch, and you won't have any problems with sputtering, plus it's good for the motor.&nbsp\\; Mines carbed, and my buddies is EFI, when he gets new pipes, he takes it&nbsp\\;to a shop, he gets new cams, he takes it to the shop, mine, I get new jets. Just remember, computers are bad, and mechanical engines are good.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM
rdss
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carburated vs. Injected

ORIGINAL: Sick1200

What's key is the warm up. People w/efi think once the rpms come down its ok to take off cause it doesn't sputter or pop, well that's wrong. It's still a Harley, and they need at least a few minutes to warm up, EFI or not. If you don't let your bike warm up you'll be doing maintenance that wouldn't be necessary if you let it warm up, especially on cold mornings. Let it warm up at least until the heads are almost uncomfortable to touch, and you won't have any problems with sputtering, plus it's good for the motor.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Mines carbed, and my buddies is EFI, when he gets new pipes, he takes it&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;to a shop, he gets new cams, he takes it to the shop, mine, I get new jets. Just remember, computers are bad, and mechanical engines are good.
&nbsp\\;
I have Short Shots and the SE Heavy Breather and it runs great with a PC III and I did not bring it to a shop, just tinkered with Power Commanders base MAPs.&nbsp\\; How ever, I am having it dynoed, but,&nbsp\\;want to maximize performance of the bike by utilizing the tunability of the PC III along with the fact that I would like to know what kind of power my Nightster is putting out.&nbsp\\; I personally think that with the Power Commander, there is no way a Carb bike can touch the tunability of the EFI.&nbsp\\; Either way, to each their own and if they would have had the Nightster in 06 with a Carb, I would probably have owned it instead.