Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 PM
lilfroger
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding into Canada

Have not driven across the boarder in many many years.&nbsp\\; But my boss and I have to run across the boarder for a meeting and we are considering riding.&nbsp\\; Does anyone know if Canada has any funny regulations for bikes?&nbsp\\; Anything weird that would catch us at the boarder?&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 05:17 PM
sweetroll
Advanced
Default RE: Riding into Canada

Don't forget the passport now.&nbsp\\; Don't know if there are any special bike reg's.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

If you have loud pipes, they will lock you in the jail.
Passport is a must now...... and helmet

Old 06-25-2008, 06:01 PM
plysat
Tourer

Oh man... Hope neither of you have *any* sort of criminal record. My neighbor and his wife went to Canada about a month ago... he had some incorrect crap on his record (Canada now has real time access to US criminal data. Thanks DHS!) Wouldn't let them in. Treated 'em like crap, walked 'em back across the border and left 'em there. 1 week later, my GF had a gig there with about 5 other folks. On arriving at the airport, 1 person had a 10 year old DUI, another had a seatbelt violation. Held 'em at the airport and again, treated them like crap. The seatbelt guy they eventually let in. The DUI girl? Held her at the airport for 5 hours... were gonna send her back, but let her in after paying a $200 dollar "fee". Have fun!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need an additional proof of insurance in Canada. Ask your insurance company.
&nbsp\\;
If you have anything that might be considered a weapon, including pepper spray, leave it at home. Pepper spray is allowed if it is marketed as animal repellent.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 09:00 PM
lilfroger
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys.&nbsp\\; We both have our passports so I'm not worried about that\\; or the law problems

Just wanted to check if there was some weird reflective bubble required or something

Now just pray for good weather.&nbsp\\; Boss won't ride in the rain.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Nonstop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't taze me bro..

Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

My family just went to Canada, and didn't need passports - just a License and Birth Certificate - ??

What's the dope ??

I plan on riding to Montreal to visit family in July, and was told passports are not required until at least next year.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 AM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

You don't need a passport if your American and driving in, just a Licence and Birth Certificate. I live by the Border and work at a business that caters to Americans and a lot of them believe you have to have a passport and don't bother coming. Also weat a DOT helment and have baffles. They are lot cooler and laid back on our side of the border.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:15 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDHornet

You don't need a passport if your American and driving in, just a Licence and Birth Certificate. I live by the Border and work at a business that caters to Americans and a lot of them believe you have to have a passport and don't bother coming. Also weat a DOT helment and have baffles. They are lot cooler and laid back on our side of the border.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I'm not doubting you, but everything I've read lately (hunter) about crossing into Canada says you MUST now have the passport.&nbsp\\;That license and/or birtch certificate isn't good enough.&nbsp\\;And that's from many sources.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
lilfroger, if you carry, leave it home.&nbsp\\;You do not want to get caught with a firearm. Even if you're legal where you live.

Quick Reply: Riding into Canada