Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carry extra fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Lindsey141
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carry extra fuel

Anybody carried extra fuel in a container for those long trips when one tank might not get you ther and back?
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Carry extra fuel

No not yet, but I have one specifically for that purpose. It's a Czechoslavakian military oil/fuel can with standard NATO spout. It's steel, holds five liters and designed to be abused.&nbsp\\;I need to get another spout for it though before it's prohibited for sale. Texas is now a CARB compliant state!&nbsp\\;Other than that, I'd suggest maybe a few quart camping fuel bottles from Coleman or MSR. Very durable and designed to carry white gas. They are also made&nbsp\\;to withstand high pressures.&nbsp\\;Toss four in your saddlebag for 50 miles extra range. Unfortunately most gasoline cans here in the U.S. are NOT very good containers for strapping onto a bike! And fuel DOES take up a lot of room and you MUST NOT top off the containers! Space must be left in the containers to allow for expansion of vapors. Most will tell you it's not a good idea, but it's workable. In fact external fuel containers are made for ATVs though they don't fit very well on a bike. I think the camping fuel bottles and a cheap funnel would be your best bet, if you can keep them separate from your clothing or rain gear.
Teek
Teek

Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Lindsey141
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Teek,&nbsp\\; Some good info and about what I was looking for.
I saw a web site where a guy rode his sportster to the artic circle
and was thinking he must have had to carry alot of fuel with him.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be careful when you go through a CARB compliant state. I forget what it stands for but several years ago California adopted a series of regulations aimed at reducing emissions and spilling fuel. Several states have agreed to that standard, including Texas,&nbsp\\;and having fuel in a non-CARB compliant container and spout can possibly get you a fine. I have no problem with the container standards, it's just the spout standards suck. Metal cans meet CARB standards. Conventional&nbsp\\;pouring spouts do not.&nbsp\\;Supposedly spill proof. If I could find a V-slot NATO CARB compliant spout I'd get it....but the military is exempt from those emissions standards, and it's very hard to make the spout spill proof and still work well.
Teek